Peacock bass with Florida gar????

Garman88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2016
So i have a Florida gar that is 8 inches now, and my lfs jusr got some peacock bass in and i really like them. My problem is ive researched and have watched youtune vids and gave seen people keeping them together, but i know my gar waits to catch his food and the bass hunt and go right after it. Iam worried the bass will eat and the gar won't cause he isnt a fast swimmer like they are. What do yall think? Will he still be able to eat?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
you can try it, most likely its going to be a case were you need to overfeed the tank so the gar gets it's share. my gar used to grab stuff off the bottom so that is probably going to be your case as well.

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
Does your gar wait for food and feed at the surface? If so, feed the bass and after they cool down, then drop some food in front gars face. Just watch those gars. They'll catch and eat whatever they can catch including your cichla.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Same here, ive had this combo before. Floating pellets for the far and sinking pellets for the bass.

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes
also had this combo with no issues. well except the bass were beating up on the gar, to the point we had to remove the gar because he lost his pectoral fin. The bass were actually putting the gar's snout in their mouth and violently shaking it. they were all ~12".

More recently though, had two 22" gar with our 2 hybrid bass (16" & 14") and had no problems what so ever. Feeding smelt and tilapia. Everyone ate their fill. If we noticed the gar weren't getting enough food, we just hand fed them the smelt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store