Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Bret11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2018
What is your guys thought on putting 2 kelberi peacock bass in a 125 gallon with a fluval fx6. What other bottom feeders or catfish could I possibly but in with them.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
I think they would end up too big for a 125. There's a few posts on mfk where keepers have said theirs reached 15"+.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think they would end up too big for a 125. There's a few posts on mfk where keepers have said theirs reached 15"+.
+1 will eventually get 18-20in kept long enough.

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
My concern with just 2 in a grow out tank like a 125 is that one of the PB will pick on the other, causing slower growth on the bullied one.
True always best to get in odd numbers 3,5,7

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
I agree a 125 would be a temporary grow out tank, and to be fair, my minimum would be something 300 gallons or larger.
A friend of mine kept a pair in a 220, and they made the tank appear tiny when not yet completely grown.
wouldn’t say that for kels although they do get beefy around the 13-14” range especially the Bahia. Although they hardly grow after that with the potential to reach 18” most don’t. Obviously the bigger the better I agree but you could scate by with a 180. Check out kens growout out thread as an example Bret11 Bret11 I believe it spans 2 years with 10 Bahia kelberi in a 260 definitely gotta ramp up the filtration like he did with the ultima filtration but it can be done.

Reactions: Bates80

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
wouldn’t say that for kels although they do get beefy around the 13-14” range especially the Bahia. .
I believe the reason most don't reach full size in even what is considered large aquaria (by some), is because nitrate and growth inhibiting hormones, in north American mineral rich water build up quickly in what I consider tiny tanks (for such a large species) with insufficient water changes for the tank size, prevents them from reaching full potential. In the South American rivers these fish are under constant 100% water change.
Even here in Panama, Lake Gatun has millions of P-bass but they never reach growth potential (that they do in S American rivers) because of the lakes water conditions, intrusion of sea water as the canals locks open and close, and the high pH (often up to pH 9+) are also growth inhibiters.
https://insider.si.edu/2016/12/peac...ing-long-term-effects-native-panamanian-fish/

tcav88

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2017
Ohio
I believe the reason most don't reach full size in even what is considered large aquaria (by some), is because nitrate and growth inhibiting hormones, in north American mineral rich water build up quickly in what I consider tiny tanks (for such a large species) with insufficient water changes for the tank size, prevents them from reaching full potential. In the South American rivers these fish are under constant 100% water change.
Even here in Panama, Lake Gatun has millions of P-bass but they never reach growth potential (that they do in S American rivers) because of the lakes water conditions, intrusion of sea water as the canals locks open and close, and the high pH (often up to pH 9+) are also growth inhibiters.
https://insider.si.edu/2016/12/peac...ing-long-term-effects-native-panamanian-fish/
I agree that’s why I run drips on my tanks I also don’t think we should base max size off the biggest fish captured as that’s not the average, that’s the absolute biggest known thus far doesn’t mean they all have the genetics to reach that size.

Reactions: yzf450motoxrider
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store