Peacock Eel refuses to eat

subaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2008
missouri
i have a peacock also i never saw him eat tonight i picked up some red wigglers before i left work ( at petsmart ) dropped on in there he sucked it up in about 2 sec im about to go put another one in there

KYeasting

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
Mine looks like its on the edge of death (one fin in the grave and one on a banana peel). I tried several bite sized pieces of red wiggler last night with every light off (as I usually feed) and it didn't even acknowledge the food. After waiting for around for about 15 or 20 minutes, I gave up and let my knife move in and clean up. I have another tank the eel could go to if the tankmates are bothering him but.....I have breeding mollies there with several babies that are just smaller than the worm pieces. I don't want them to disappear. Aothough, I've never seen any fish irritating him and I've read that angelfish and ABK are acceptable tankmates.

subaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2008
missouri
what temp is your tank at? whats the nitrate, nitrite, pH ect. maybe sometings off and its bothering him

KYeasting

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
temp is and has been about 80F since I set up the tank. the pH is just above neutral, maybe a 7.4. nitrates and nitrites are all at safe levels. my water params are all safe and good.

KYeasting

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
Bad news..... I had to go away for a few days and my eel has passed on. It appears he became dinner for the tankmates since there's no body in or around the tank. Although my fish died, I think I learned alot from it. I also have gone out to the store and picked up another peacock eel. Its about 6" long or so (it won't hold still long enough to find out for sure) and about as big around as a quarter. It's extremely lively, has much will to live and I have all the knowledge I've gained from the first eel and everyone on this discussion to make sure it lives a long life!

gianniz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
sydney
i have bright light in my tank 12 hours a day and I only feed mine earth worm during the day. When i feed other fish, he will come out of his shell if his hungry and wonders around looking at me saying "wheres my lunch!" lol
in my tank I consider my spiny eel, ghost knife and elephant nose to be my pet rather than a fish :)

KYeasting

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Tampa, FL
My new eel apparently loves red wigglers. I cut one in half and held it in its face with my claw (in broad daylight with all the lights on) and the worm disappeared. It was pretty freakin' cool. It ate the second half of the worm (which I dropped on its head) in the same fashion. I hope to have this eel used to hand feeding within the next couple months (sooner I hope!).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store