peacocks yellow labs and demasoni

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
I've been keeping demasoni for 14 years and peacocks almost as long. I would not mix, if the demasoni don't end up stressing the peacocks causing illness/injury/death then I would expect the peacocks would at least not show their best colors. Also I like peacocks in a harem or a single male with no other peacocks that look like him in the tank.
Thank you. So the same rule applies in case of only one piece of demasoni in tank too with peacocks and labs and dolphins?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
To the op, have you ever kept M. lombardoi long term? When they peak sexually, they typically become very nasty, even the females, but males much more so. Your peacocks won’t stand a chance against their level of aggression.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Thank you. So the same rule applies in case of only one piece of demasoni in tank too with peacocks and labs and dolphins?

Same rule applies with most mbuna, other than a few of the lower level aggression species, mbuna are best kept wth other mbuna.

Reactions: Kashif314

boogs1989

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2019
canary islands
Same rule applies with most mbuna, other than a few of the lower level aggression species, mbuna are best kept wth other mbuna.
kenyi are in separate tank doing there own thing. and demasoni have there own tank now aswell. as the peacocks where bullying them. I'm putting some other mbuna with the demasoni and kenyi are staying on there own. only mix I got going on at min is peacocks and yellow labs.

Reactions: Kashif314 and RD.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
kenyi are in separate tank doing there own thing. and demasoni have there own tank now aswell. as the peacocks where bullying them. I'm putting some other mbuna with the demasoni and kenyi are staying on there own. only mix I got going on at min is peacocks and yellow labs.
Thank you. Are kenyi also overly aggressive? I read they are less aggressive.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
M. lombardoi aka Kenyi cichlids are very aggressive fish, including the females. I'm not sure where or what you are read, but I have posted this site a couple of times now. You might want to use the info there for a general idea, before asking more specific questions about species.

Add a male "Kenyi" to your tank, and the result will be that either your "electric yellow hybrid", or the Kenyi, will soon be dead.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
M. lombardoi aka Kenyi cichlids are very aggressive fish, including the females. I'm not sure where or what you are read, but I have posted this site a couple of times now. You might want to use the info there for a general idea, before asking more specific questions about species.

Add a male "Kenyi" to your tank, and the result will be that either your "electric yellow hybrid", or the Kenyi, will soon be dead.
My bad. I mistook Kenyi for a dogtooth. Yes Kenyi is aggressive. I want to add a fish having stripes and which can match with my existing fish. Don't want to open a new topic but any suggestions will be highly appreciated. I removed 7 fish from my tank to make room for new ones. Those were dull coloured peacocks, I belive they were females.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Typically fish with stripes, will be aggressive towards other fish with stripes. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking?

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Typically fish with stripes, will be aggressive towards other fish with stripes. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking?
I mean what kind of cichlids I can keep with my current setup. Need some variety but something which is not overly aggressive. Things are going good so far in my tank and I don't want to have some major bully.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store