Pearlscale Question

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Hi folks,

I’ve read pearlscale is caused by a gene that makes the scales malform to look nubby. I think it’s absolutely stunning, however I was wondering if this mutation causes any harm to the fish? Irritation, disease susceptibly, etc.
I might be interested in a breeding project with them in the future, but want to make sure the gene is ethical to pursue.

I recently acquired a pearlscale marble koi female from someone.
My marble koi male has taken an extreme shine to her, and almost immediately ditched his current partner ?
He was one of my more placid ones, a very submissive pair. Now he’s playing fistie-cuffs with all the other angels, then gently nipping her like, “hey, did you see that?!”
Certainly in attempts to woo her, I think!

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Since no comments yet-- It's been 30 years since I had them, but mine were perfectly healthy and hardy, no less robust than my other fish-- had some really big and beautiful gold pearlscales and orange and black marble with pearled scales. That was a long time ago, so I can't guarantee today's genetics, but I would expect the same today as long as they come from a quality breeding line.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Oh wow! I had no idea they even existed until I saw some relinquished adults at my LFS. They’ve been around a while then ?

I was worried it’d be some sort of mutation like a leather-skin bearded dragon ??‍♀

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
Pearlscale is a common angelfish genetic trait. It's been in the fish for decades and often gets crossed into most lines.

DirtyPaws949

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2015
Newport Beach
Pearlscale is a common angelfish genetic trait. It's been in the fish for decades and often gets crossed into most lines.
Great, thanks!
Now I feel like a noob again ?
Just wanted to double check, since this mutation affects characteristics other than color.
breeding project would be down the road, once I get my big cichlids moved and can give the angels the 150gal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store