kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
The only problem with that is the oscars
Fast a few days and pellet heavily. Remove what’s not eaten. Can use tongs and target feed.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Having a fish that requires training to eat pellets...in a tank with multiple oscars...is about the equivalent of setting up a Hibachi in the grizzly bear exhibit at the zoo and trying to grill burgers. Either way, you are injecting a whole bunch of extra challenge into what should be a very simple thing. :)

Fasting followed by target feeding should still work. I would suggest using an opaque tube of PVC or something similar, lowering it to the catfish's hiding spot and dropping the food in so that the oscars don't see it on the way down. You may need to do that for a long time...a looooooooooong time...but resist the temptation to throw in huge quantities of food in an effort to get a little bit to the cat while overfeeding the oscars. That would be bad.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Having a fish that requires training to eat pellets...in a tank with multiple oscars...is about the equivalent of setting up a Hibachi in the grizzly bear exhibit at the zoo and trying to grill burgers. Either way, you are injecting a whole bunch of extra challenge into what should be a very simple thing. :)
🤣

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
Australia
How I did my Saratoga Leichardti, I got it eating diced fish, then soaked pellets in the bag with the fish, even put pellets inside fish, not long he was eating good amounts of the fishy pellets, going from that to strait pellets was pretty easy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store