Pellets+pacu=???

Toothyfish2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
Hi everyone! I have recently picked up a pacu at about an inch. He is in a 20 gallon grow out(don’t worry I have a pond and a huge costume tank for when he grows) and I have heard it is best to pellet train them when they are young. The day I got him he ate half a cone of brine shrimp and tried to eat a live feeder (I breed them and make sure they are safe for fish consumption) and he ate most of the tail and the head. Lol cruel I know. Ok back to the point. Does anyone have tips on how to get him to eat floating pellets or worst case sinking pellets? This would make it a lot easier bc frozen foods are a pain for me. The fastest option will be in demand. Thank you

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
You can feed him cichlid pellets. Please don't give him live food. Pacus are omnivores and will consume anything, including nonfood items. When we acquired our pacu, they were already 15" long. The previous owner had fed them pond food and gave us the bag of food. For the first year of their lives they ate Wardley Pond Pellets. And actually, we fed them that for several years since they were used to it.

Reactions: tlindsey

Toothyfish2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2018
You can feed him cichlid pellets. Please don't give him live food. Pacus are omnivores and will consume anything, including nonfood items. When we acquired our pacu, they were already 15" long. The previous owner had fed them pond food and gave us the bag of food. For the first year of their lives they ate Wardley Pond Pellets. And actually, we fed them that for several years since they were used to it.
Yes I understand, I have a bag of hikari cichlids pellets I will be feeding him when trained

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store