pellets vs litter size and maturity

eken21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2010
Sweden
Hi!

I have a question. Is there correlation with stingrays feeding on pellets mainly vs rays that eat fish / shrimp / worms and litter size / maturity?

I have read somewhere that ray who only eats pellets give smaller litter size and gets mature later than those who eat fish / shrimp and worms etc.

Anyone who got experience about this ?

Thanks

/Eken

Reactions: Gpdriftwood

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I doubt such data exists. Not even sure how one could compare considering all of the wide variations in fresh/frozen feed types, as well as pellet brand/formulas, as in nutrient levels and nutrient assimilation, as well as overall quantity ingested by each ray. Clearly this would have an affect on fecundity. There seems to be a wide variation in uterine fecundity and gestation periods among rays observed in the wild.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I doubt such data exists. Not even sure how one could compare considering all of the wide variations in fresh/frozen feed types, as well as pellet brand/formulas, as in nutrient levels and nutrient assimilation, as well as overall quantity ingested by each ray. Clearly this would have an affect on fecundity. There seems to be a wide variation in uterine fecundity and gestation periods among rays observed in the wild.

Call me simple or uneducated, but I really wish they would have a translation in layman’s terms. I had to look up numerous words in the dictionary and still can’t quite grasp the sciencey lingo. I guess I should have paid more attention in school

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Great question eken21! I look forward to any relevant responses also.

Reedmaster16

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2005
Ohio
I've never once read that before. But a pellet correlation to litter size is total hearsay.

Nutrition is vital. But habitat size, condition, and water quality would have a more measurable impact on overall health. In relation to the way most hobbyists/people here keep their rays.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store