people who are owing me money (you know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
exactly, im tired of the oh il take um hold um for a week

then 2 weeks later the "oh sorry dude my grams died" start flowing in lol

Chris@TSE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
New York
topshelfexotic.com
you do know its prohibited to ask for a "paypal fee" right?!

its considered a merchant fee and the cost of accepting credit cards and other processed payments and if paypal gets wind they will lock your account out and possibly forfeit your funds.

I'd reconsider, not to mention its becoming one of those "things people avoid" when looking for a reputable seller. Alot of people do not realize it since people try to get away with it on eBay. Since paypal and ebay became one they have even began closing ebay accounts for those who publicly list the fact they collect an additional fee to cover paypal costs in thier auctions. be careful. you're MUCH better off adding that "fee" to your advertised price rather than adding afterwards. no loss and you save your hide :)

Chris@TSE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
New York
topshelfexotic.com
no problem. not to mention it is also ILLEGAL, not just a violation of paypals terms of service. punishable by law, federal as well as in the majority of all states in this country.

its pretty simple really, when setting a price for a particular item you factor in your costs.....this is just another one. adding something like that after the fact simply does not look good. if you look at it from the buyers point of view its a pretty lousy thing to do. I can see why people tend to avoid sellers who ask for such an additional charge. granted most just do it because they see other people do it. They have had to pay such charges and accept it as a standard when in fact its just a widespred abuse of thier system. If you look in paypals terms of service youll see it outlined quite clear, for some reason people chose to ignore it and those after them just followed the 'trend'.

Some people do it to intentially scam unsuspecting customers who know no better. If you send such a paypal payment to someone that simply has a personal account... guess what? Personal accounts do not get charged fees when accepting payments. They are pocketing your money under false pretense. Personal accounts accept all payments accept for credit card payments free of charge, no reason to ask the customer for a fee. Premier and business accounts are fee based. And guess what? Thats the cost of doing business. If you owned a retail outlet you would have to rent equipment and pay the very same fees to a merchant account.

In most cases retail outlets factor these fees right into the asking price for the product.... If you walked into a petco, saw the price for the item, had to pay tax, and then they told you that you had to pay them an additional fee so they will accept your money you'd probably spit in thier faces.... lol

freight, your initial cost of the item, perhaps something to reflect feed or anything to sustain it in your care, and the paypal deduction is simply another one of those fees. Oh yes, and of course your profit. Add those together and you got your asking price, and the buyer pays the additional shipping.

quoted here: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_fees-outside

Receiving Payments. Personal accounts are not charged any fees for receiving payments, but may not receive credit card payments without upgrading to a Business or Premier account. Business and Premier accounts will be charged under the new performance-based fee structure, and the fees will be based on the country associated with the account.

quoted here: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside

No Surcharges. Under Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express regulations and the laws of several states, including California, merchants may not charge a fee to the buyer for accepting credit card payments (often called a "surcharge"). You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as payment. This restriction does not prevent you from imposing a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge (in other words, the handling fee for transactions paid through PayPal may not be higher than the handling fee for transactions paid through other payment methods). Nor does this restriction apply to Pound-denominated transactions by sellers residing in the United Kingdom listing items for sale on a UK-based website.

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
i jsut got tired of orders over a 100 getting raped by the fee

i followed jeffrapps and you (you do it right?)

i know alot of forum members on WW who do it as well..... anyways thanks for the heads up

Chris@TSE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2005
New York
topshelfexotic.com
well jeff rapps is breaking paypals terms of service and the law, and probably is not even aware of it.

me?

We have never charged a paypal fee. ever.

some people are so used to paying it they sometimes include it when sending payment to us! we simply refund it....

its the cost of doing business

unknownuza13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2005
damn I did not know this... I just payed those Illegal fees to two fish sellers...... damnit...

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
While what you say is, true I take a lot of credit cards and what you can do is offer a "cash discount" and this is not covered by the laws of most states or the paypal agreement .

Thanks for the extra fish :cheers: You can't let the dead beats bother you...most people don't do it on purpose sometimes their eyes are bigger then their wallet.

To cut down on the problem you can require a 10% non refundable deposit and if they won't do this then you keep the product for sale and if they come up with the money when they said thats great and if you sell to someone else then it's even better because the first guy may still buy something from you.

Remember that often a person that is short on cash now will have good cash flow in a few years and be come a great customer so I would recomend not giving them too hard of a time for their mistake.

nick

Candiru
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
meriden ,ct
can we do a money order? im kinda freaked after what chris said and the fact that i need money to ship plus the fact i have no room in paypal (only .90 cents before i have to add a bank account)

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store