Peruvian Angelfish Galore

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
I have recently gotten interested in Peruvian Angelfish or Rio Nanay Angelfish or Spotted Angelfish or False Altum Angelfish. I don't even know how many names it has. At first, I thought that these were all the same fish but haha I thought wrong. Apparently there are different variants of the Peruvian with only one having a certain altum like look with the notched nose, no bars on the tail, Altum-ish eyes, taller fins, and better color. Can anyone explain in depth about this and what is what? I know red spots are Leopold which is not what I am looking for. Does anyone know a reputable place to get the true Peruvians or whatever they are? Like from online and make sure they look like altums? If anybody knows where to get the specific ones, like in the link with clear tails please let me know.
1579748695892.png

1579748706568.png

First is the image from Angels USA and second is from MyHomeNature which I have no clue about and doubt the fish look like that.

Also found a facebook page from a breeder who goes further in depth.

Matt Pedersen

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Update: On my search for the true Rio Nanay Scalare with Altum traits I have been lead to Discus Madness where Mathias has some for sale. These seem to be the true Rio Nanay with altum characteristics. Additionally, the commonly referred to Datnum angel is just a Rio Nanay variant (stated by many sources). The images below are a few images of Mathias' current stock of Rio Nanay that have distinctive features, notched nose, tall fins, elegant posture, and clear tails.
1579838917331.png1579838936832.png1579838949765.png

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
the 2nd picture from myhomenature. Those reminds me of the Orinoco angel variant?

Farhan123

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2020
Oh yeah those in the first post yes they are, my home nature had them listed as peruvians but obviously not, I wouldn't trust them now.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
This certain importer is very trustworthy in cichlid clubs and can let you know if they can get what exactly you are looking for. They do expeditions in SA. They know their cichlids. GL i do hope you find that balance you want

Last edited:

papasmurf

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2011
Waco, TX
The ones you are looking for are the nanays...they have a spot in the dorsal fin (shape can very a bit) but not a stripe extending from the dorsal fin. They usually tend to get a lot of blue on the face and body as they mature with small spots on the body and a yellow/orange/rust splotching on the back of the body usually at the top and bottom that is really attractive. The notched nose is usually apparent especially with wild fish but I have domestic F3's and the notched nose is not apparent in them. There are a lot of fish labeled as "peruvian altums" but as you have found out, they can vary a lot with some just having a reddish/brown back and spots but none of the blue coloring that makes nanays so nice.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
First pic are peruvians, 2nd pics are altums. The peruvians dont get their spots and nice colors till they mature. Usually go for 20-30 each. They are easy to find.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store