Peruvian giant centipede

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Though not as colorful as yours I have some pretty big ones running around in my basement....fast suckers too.

AG458

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
Are those ones not poisonous? That one's pretty big...

Tim's Fish

Feeder Fish
Jan 17, 2018
Anyone else keep centipedes? This is one mine, a Scolopendra gigantea or the Peruvian giant. Grows to 12"++. She's pretty "tame" unless your an unlucky prey item lol

View attachment 1297646 View attachment 1297647
I have kept them in the past, but I wouldn’t recommend handling them, even infrequently, they can be very unpredictable and you don’t want to get hurt, the giants are poisonous after all, I only got bitten once and it was a Vietnamese centapide, it wasn’t that bad but it still taught me a lesson in caution

Best of luck,
Tim’s fish

Reactions: Chub_by

Holdenon5

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
I have kept them in the past, but I wouldn’t recommend handling them, even infrequently, they can be very unpredictable and you don’t want to get hurt, the giants are poisonous after all, I only got bitten once and it was a Vietnamese centapide, it wasn’t that bad but it still taught me a lesson in caution

Best of luck,
Tim’s fish
I agree, I've only held her once but only because I know her behavior and her venom is alot weaker then the asian pedes. I have a vietnamese and other asian centipedes and trust me my hand don't come close to them haha

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Beautiful animals and possibly the only animal I like but wouldn't keep as a pet, I would be terrified if it ever escaped lol
Yours is a very nice specimen!

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Tried to find some desert centys the other day, on my break at work,only found a Arizona desert millipede, my favorite centipede is the dumerils giant because they r tamer and can be kept together(unlike many other species)

Reactions: Cowturtle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store