Pet Sunfish pics

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
cichlid fiend;2820217; said:
i was never able to get any small blk CRAPPIE tho cuz bass fishing really picked up and i got tired of catching small fish for the tanks~~~no live bait EVER-they would look so good in a tank
thats y youve never caught a small crappie, best way to catch them is on a bobber and minnow or bobber and wax worm. Its rare to catch a small one on a lure. Ive had 2 crappie but they seem to be fragile compared to other sunfish, they both died and i could never get them off live foods. I might try again this spring.

cichlid fiend

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
New Jersey
i was able to trick my natives to taste dried shrimp from off the top of the water and once they taste the krill they liked it and i also had them on frozen unthawed shrimp from grocery store as well as gold fish and e.worms

redchaser

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
louisiana
www.redchaser.com
cichlid fiend;2820217; said:
i was never able to get any small blk CRAPPIE tho cuz bass fishing really picked up and i got tired of catching small fish for the tanks~~~no live bait EVER-they would look so good in a tank

When I want to catch really small sunfish I break out my fly rod. The biggest impedemnet to catching the little guy's is normally hook size. Even a number 10 hook can be hard for small sunfish to get their mouth around. I'll tie some small nymph or sow bug type flies in size 16 or smaller barbless hooks. I fish the nymph suspended about 12 - 14 inches under a popping bug. If a fish even thinks about looking at that nymph he'll get hooked by that little 16-18 hook. The nymph doesn't have to look like much for sunfish, just a little dubbing, or yarn or peacock herl wrapped around the hook with a little bit of a tail sticking off will work.

cichlid fiend

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
New Jersey
redchaser;2823952; said:
When I want to catch really small sunfish I break out my fly rod. The biggest impedemnet to catching the little guy's is normally hook size. Even a number 10 hook can be hard for small sunfish to get their mouth around. I'll tie some small nymph or sow bug type flies in size 16 or smaller barbless hooks. I fish the nymph suspended about 12 - 14 inches under a popping bug. If a fish even thinks about looking at that nymph he'll get hooked by that little 16-18 hook. The nymph doesn't have to look like much for sunfish, just a little dubbing, or yarn or peacock herl wrapped around the hook with a little bit of a tail sticking off will work.
i never did the fly fishing thing but matbe one day.

MultispeciesTamer

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2008
Michigan
Heres some of mine i need to get updated pics. ;)

pet fish 192.jpg

pet fish 164.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store