Petsmart getting better?

Tom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
tcarswell;2859827; said:
Actually its bigger than that. You can buy a stealth at pet smart for 43 dollars. OR YOU CAN GO ONLINE ! And get the same unit for 23 dollars at www.drfostersmith.com (Food for thought !)
Buying off the internet is one thing to get things cheaper. It's just the fact of supporting a place like petsmart that makes me not want to give them my money. I agree completely with you, in todays economy we go where the better buy is. I just would like to see local lfs not suffer so much from big chain stores.

le patron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
so would i, but their prices are outrageous 85% of the time for tanks and supplies. fish and animals are very well priced though. thats why i get my animals at lfs and setups at chain petstores

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Ullopincrate;2859986; said:
I love DrsFosterSmith. It's a shame lfs charges so much for accessories. But I do like the fact that I can check out the fish before the sale. I have had fish shipped but get so anxious about the transport and if they live/die that I need a xanax lol. I'll probably ship more fish in the future because the lfs can only get what their supplier has. Online the world is your oyster.
I prefer klonipin for fish stress:nilly: it lasts 12 hours :drool:

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Bellacornuta;2860226; said:
Buying off the internet is one thing to get things cheaper. It's just the fact of supporting a place like petsmart that makes me not want to give them my money. I agree completely with you, in todays economy we go where the better buy is. I just would like to see local lfs not suffer so much from big chain stores.
I don't want to see them suffer as much as anyone believe me. But all I am saying is that internet pricing has hit the LFS mom and pop businesses much harder than Pet Smart. Half the price and you don't even have to leave your chair :D If you don't want them to suffer then you should try getting an FX5 at one (usually 350+)and let them pocket the extra 180 bucks. Am I right people?

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
le patron;2860234; said:
so would i, but their prices are outrageous 85% of the time for tanks and supplies. fish and animals are very well priced though. thats why i get my animals at lfs and setups at chain petstores
I get my fish at a privately owned place (All the pet smart fish I got introduced disease and needed an extra long quarantine. All my equipment comes from petsmart unless its exotic ( Coral life Uv sterilizer, FX5 , Eheim 2262 ) That stuff comes from the internet.

monty_javier

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
I just don't get why people feel so bad to "give their money to petsmart"
LFS supports community by employing 5-10 people and paying their very modest taxes to the city.
Petsmart/Petco support community by employing 30-50 people and paying significantly more taxes to community. Adopting out local pets, for local adoption agency. Pays dividends to stock holders that own a very successful business.

Just because its owned by john and sue from down the road doesn't mean its better. Most of the time the employees are just and misinformed and the smart ones will take advantage of newbies even more, because they know they need that money.

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
monty_javier;2863749; said:
I just don't get why people feel so bad to "give their money to petsmart"
LFS supports community by employing 5-10 people and paying their very modest taxes to the city.
Petsmart/Petco support community by employing 30-50 people and paying significantly more taxes to community. Adopting out local pets, for local adoption agency. Pays dividends to stock holders that own a very successful business.

Just because its owned by john and sue from down the road doesn't mean its better. Most of the time the employees are just and misinformed and the smart ones will take advantage of newbies even more, because they know they need that money.
:headbang2 Dead on , Dead on

generalcov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2008
South Carolina
it is great to hear that there is someone that is concerned with fish health and safety while working at pet store (private or franchise) rather than just worried about when they get off work or when their next break is.

Wheat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
U.S.
Fish selection, knowledge of fish and animals is usually better in your lfs. They usually are opened by people who love the hobby first, not just to make a buck. If all we buy in the lfs is fish alone, then they are an endangered species. Fish alone doesn't pay the bills. If all we have are the chain stores, good luck finding oddball species, because only sales will dictate what they'll keep in their tanks. Then maybe all the fish will be painted! :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store