PetSmart Top Fin Aquarium Heaters

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I've had far too many of these things. Reliably unreliable crap and I just bought another 300 watt unit.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

That is all.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I've had far too many of these things. Reliably unreliable crap and I just bought another 300 watt unit.

Life is like a box of chocolates.

That is all.

Agreed, top fin products (other than their tanks) are really crappy. I got my tank as a Top Fin 55 Gallon kit and the filter and heater just broke in like a month, so I had to switch to Fluval for both my heaters and filters and the difference is night and day.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I got four TopFin heaters in a bunch of stuff I bought at a club auction a few years ago. They had all-metal-enclosed elements with external controller units, digital displays and remote temperature sensors. I love the idea of being able to turn the heater on/off or alter the temperature setting easily and while staying dry.

One works flawlessly, and has been in constant service for the several years since I got it.

One has never worked; neither control unit nor the element show any sign of life when plugged in.

One had a control unit that came on and responded to inputs, seemed to read the correct temperature, and attempted to turn the heater on and off...but no heat.

The last one had a heating element that came on when the thing was plugged in...and then never turned off as long as it had power.

Eventually I grafted the apparently-functioning controller onto the definitely over-achieving element and got a functioning unit with a big ugly "western union" in the cord going from controller to element.

So, with a bit of work, I ended up with two functioning devices out of four. No way I would ever spend a dime to buy one of these things new. "Reliably unreliable", lol...:)

Life may be like a box of chocolates...but that doesn't mean that half the chocolates should turn out to be deer pellets. :(

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I only have the small ones for 10 gallon tanks that came with the aquarium starter kits. I’ve never really had an issue with them, but them breaking doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Now the aqueon heaters…those are absolute garbage IME. Great for cooking fish, but that’s about it.

Flaring Afro

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2016
I only have the small ones for 10 gallon tanks that came with the aquarium starter kits. I’ve never really had an issue with them, but them breaking doesn’t surprise me one bit.

Now the aqueon heaters…those are absolute garbage IME. Great for cooking fish, but that’s about it.
Which Aqueons? The entry models are garbage but my experience has been that their Pro line was decent. I bought a bunch for various tanks around 2010 and they held up for 5+ years and were cheap at the time on Amazon. They didn't fail, just became obsolete as I sized up. The quality may differ now though, and that still isn't a good sample size.

Right now I'm happiest with the Hygger that was affordable for a 800w and has the externa controll interface. I've had it for a couple years and I'd never go back to a heater without a digital display, even though I already have an Inkbird controller paired with it.

Sinister-Kisses

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2022
BC, Canada
The quality may differ now though
They haven't, not in my experience. I've got 5 of the Pro line heaters running currently and they're flawless in the couple of years I've been using them. Temp seems pretty reliable and accurate to what you set it to, too.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Which Aqueons? The entry models are garbage but my experience has been that their Pro line was decent. I bought a bunch for various tanks around 2010 and they held up for 5+ years and were cheap at the time on Amazon. They didn't fail, just became obsolete as I sized up. The quality may differ now though, and that still isn't a good sample size.

Right now I'm happiest with the Hygger that was affordable for a 800w and has the externa controll interface. I've had it for a couple years and I'd never go back to a heater without a digital display, even though I already have an Inkbird controller paired with it.
I’ve just used the “aqueon submersible aquarium heaters,” in my experience they would do good for a bit before eventually running too hot.
Had one get a tank into the high 90s (still read that it was set for 75), luckily nothing fried.
No experience with the pro heaters, so I can’t comment there.

• Wow

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
So...Uhhh....Why do you keep buying them?

When one of their heaters poops the bed I notice it within a couple evenings and rush down to the local fish shop to remedy the problem. That's the closest big boxer. My Peacock Bass grow out was not right last night and I took a quick glance at the heater and the digital readout said 86*f. Top of the range for a grow out but still all good yet something wasn't right. I took a closer look and the digital readout was in reflection and what I initially thought read 86 actually read 68*f. I jumped in my ride and blasted down to PetSmart before they closed and as I was holding that 47 dollar 300W dumpster fire it occurred to me that I had already thrown out a bunch of these trash heaters and was about to do it again. And my choice was...

That I'd be doing it again.

That, or...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store