Phantom Redtail Catfish Journal

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
I was talking to Rod from predatory fins and he offered me a new catfish never been seen on the market so he instantly had my attention. He sent me a video and I thought it was so bizarre I had to hop on the train. Introducing the Phantom Redtail catfish! I’d love help figuring out the proper mutation term.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Would suggest IMO it’s not a platinum. For a platinum I would want a sheen to it and not to be able to see any of the original markings or colour beneath the platinum, albeit it is still a very young fish and the sheen may improve.
it is however a different colour variant (or rather lack of colour variant) and a good looking fish.

The pink redtail cat!

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Would suggest IMO it’s not a platinum. For a platinum I would want a sheen to it and not to be able to see any of the original markings or colour beneath the platinum, albeit it is still a very young fish and the sheen may improve.
it is however a different colour variant (or rather lack of colour variant) and a good looking fish.

The pink redtail cat!
I’m starting to think amelonistic might be correct

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I’m starting to think amelonistic might be correct
With the dark eyes and darkish top half I'd say probably not. Amelanistic is the lack of all melanin or the dark pigments, but can still allow other colors that don't contain melanin. Hypomelanistic maybe.....but I don't know enough to say if that would allow for the eyes either.
Keep us updated maybe in a year or so it will change and we will see a different fish.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
With the dark eyes and darkish top half I'd say probably not. Amelanistic is the lack of all melanin or the dark pigments, but can still allow other colors that don't contain melanin. Hypomelanistic maybe.....but I don't know enough to say if that would allow for the eyes either.
Keep us updated maybe in a year or so it will change and we will see a different fish.
Whilst from my understanding, an amelanistic fish can have a lack of pigmentation in the skin but still have black eyes, I would agree that it is probably not amelanistic.

If anything IMO I would have to suggest it is some level of leusistic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store