Phractolaemus ansorgii

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hey guys. has anyone ever seen an African hingemouth, Phractolaemus ansorgii, around before? They look very interesting.

They are said to get around 7.5" and have a cool mouth arrangement. A local forum sponsor had some in about 6 years ago and I'm waiting for a response there.

They also have a primitive lung set up and come from "low oxygenated muddy pools". I would love to get one of these.

What would you think they would need food wise as well?

Any input is appreciated, thanks Hendre

Oddball Oddball

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The mudfish had some popularity back in the mid-2000's. Rehoboth was bringing them in fairly regularly and still occasionally brings them in today. Those that kept the species noted they were mainly detritus feeders and would accept blackworms and other small fresh/frozen foods. The species fell out of favor due to their secretive and sedentary life-style. They were not very active, in aquariums, and usually came out only at night.

Reactions: Hendre and kno4te

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks for that info. I'm trying to create an African themed tank and thought these would be interesting, i can't really seem to find many suitable species past the standard bread and butter.

I am hoping that long vallis and lots of wood would bring them out occasionally like my sword plants and structure does my knives

Reactions: FishTanksOfCO

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Hey guys. has anyone ever seen an African hingemouth, Phractolaemus ansorgii, around before? They look very interesting.

They are said to get around 7.5" and have a cool mouth arrangement. A local forum sponsor had some in about 6 years ago and I'm waiting for a response there.

They also have a primitive lung set up and come from "low oxygenated muddy pools". I would love to get one of these.

What would you think they would need food wise as well?

Any input is appreciated, thanks Hendre

Oddball Oddball
hendre anymore info on them? Might stock my 40 gallon with them. Mini bichir! The wetspot has them in stock rn.

Reactions: djsaltynuts

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
hendre anymore info on them? Might stock my 40 gallon with them. Mini bichir! The wetspot has them in stock rn.
Make sure to have lots of frozen and/or fine foods available. And don't count on seeing them much, apparently they are super shy. Would love to see some kept on the forum!

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store