Phractolaemus ansorgii

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
How funny I thought I was reading an old thread and didn’t realize this is current time lol. I was thinking about ordering 10 or so of them. Do they like soft water? How about temps?

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
It’s gonna be hard to find out! They come from the Congo so maybe softer. I did a lot of research becasue I wanted some, but there is. Like 0 out there.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
How funny I thought I was reading an old thread and didn’t realize this is current time lol. I was thinking about ordering 10 or so of them. Do they like soft water? How about temps?
i think my heater was broken or something and the water felt like it was 90 degrees or more and he seemed pretty content. i then turned the heater off and he seemed to be equally content. i assume the small bodies of water they inhabit are subjected to allot of heating and possibly cooling at night but idk how cold it gets in africa at night lol. assuming their in the desert climates of africa theyd be able to handle cold temps as well due to deserts getting really cold at night.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'd assume they enjoy regular tropical temperatures and softer-medium water. They most certainly don't live in deserts, more likely in rainforests, being big detritus feeders.

Reactions: djsaltynuts

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I'd assume they enjoy regular tropical temperatures and softer-medium water. They most certainly don't live in deserts, more likely in rainforests, being big detritus feeders.
their distribution does go into niger but yes i must be pretty high to think thered be swamps in the desert. but i guess my point was if they can be found in small pools of water their habitat could very easily be subject to temperature swings. however the Benguela wind current does go through the congo which can produce some colder temps for a country so close to the equator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store