Physics and longevity question

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I came across this and was curious how this happens. I get that it would create a vacuum sucking water from the bottom to the top part of the filter, but at some point wouldn't they reach some sort of equilibrium and stop pouring in? I don't understand how it just keeps going? Also what's the likelihood of it lasting long periods of time? Would it be able to scale to size for like a 50 gallon tank? Bigger?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I wouldn’t call this free energy, I would call this a battery(short life span). During the video I noticed the water in the bottle slowly going down, so I don’t think it will last more than 30 min. Once the container fills up with water or the bottle loses water, it will stop working.
I remember seeing a video similar like this before, and someone in the comment section make a very good description on how it works and why it’s not efficient. These videos aren’t made for people to take their design, they are more made for the youtuber to get views.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Fantastic! After centuries of human effort devoted to the creation of the Perpetual Motion Machine...here it is, designed and built by a person who seemed to have an inordinate amount of difficulty getting the lid off of a plastic food storage container. ?

The bottom container, set up with floss and biomedia, never had water in it at all throughout the video; it seems to be there just for show. Starting the siphon would have at least made the illusion a bit more convincing. The straw from lower to upper containers was simply jammed through a hole in the upper, which had a blob of got glue or silicone on it when the straw was inserted. That straw was obviously supposed to lift water magically from the lower to the upper levels, but never actually did anything in the video. I think that the top end of that straw was clogged by adhesive, and that this was intentional.

So...you essentially have a tightly sealed plastic bottle full of water, with a tube leading out the top. Looks like the bottle was squeezed a bit, building some pressure, and causing the water to dribble out through the tube; the valve and the needle tip on the tube ensure that this won't happen too quickly, before the video ended. I suspect that the miniscule dribble of water slowed and stopped within a few minutes.

There ain't no free lunch. Energy is conserved. Work cannot be done without expending energy; this energy must be replaced. This video is complete BS. As Fishnerd360 Fishnerd360 said, this device serves one function, and that function is assuredly not water filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store