Pick up to welcome the New year

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Setup on 1st Jan. Put 5 x 3 inch cichlids to cycle.

Afraid not enough waste for bacteria and added 2 x flowerhorn the next day

Will continue adding cichlids to increase bioload

The media was all from the cichlids tank

Ultimate goal is to shift the cichlids back to their tank and this tank will be for up to 3 rays. 2f and 1m

twentyleagues twentyleagues not a fan of dosing chemicals thus will still be letting it continue cycle for another 10 days. Since I will be overseas
Yeah I get that. The thing I like about it is its just a couple different types of nitrifing bacteria. No other stuff just bacteria.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
My concern is .. if my current cycling with fish is completed but as bioload is low.. Won't then I have insufficient bacteria when I switch the current fish for rays?

Does this mean I should continue adding fish to increase bioload thus increasing the amount of bacteria?

Reactions: twentyleagues

NathanKS

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2016
Nor*Cal
So how many cichlid equal one ray?
1-1000 depending on species ;P

I know it brings a host of other issues but you might also try to over feed a bit to help build up the bacteria. Just make sure you keep a close eye on your water parameters if you do.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
added a few more cichlids. now there are 10 in the tank for cycling.

heavy rain yesterday and as my tank is partially exposed (less than 10% exposed to rain)... my tank overflowed.

the fishes are fine but considering should i do a basic cover to block the rain or treat the rain as water change lol

Reactions: twentyleagues

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Maybe I should test the rainwater and see what I get but my guess is there is likely contaminants.. especially the water will drip off my roof before entering the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store