PICKED UP SOME NICE SHEETS OF GLASS...

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR GLASS FOR MY PLYWOOD TANK PROJECT AND I FOUND 6 OR 7 PIECES, EACH ABOUT 4 TO 5 FEET, 18 INCHES HIGH, BUT ONLY 3/16 THICK. I DON'T KNOW IF IT'S TEMPERED; THE EDGES ARE BEVELED AND HAVE A GREENISH TINT. ANYWAYS, IS THE GLASS ADEQUATE TO USE AS A FRONT WINDOW WITH SOME BRACING? PERHAPS SANDWICHING 2 SHEETS? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT.

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
that just under 1/4

18 high you MIGHT be able to get away with it ....

dont quote me tho ...

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
i went to gar tank builder..

i put in a 60 x 18 x 18 tank plywood with glass... they said 3/4" wood....1/4" glass...

so you should be good..

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
my old DIY 300 was 1/4" tempered and it was over 24" tall. I dont know about 3/16" though.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Find out if they are tempered. If they are, you are good to go. Look at all of the corners. If there are any chips, then it is not tempered. Tempered glass will shatter explosively if it is fractured in any way. Tiny chips will cause crack propagation (never ending growth).

If you already have them and they were freebies, sacrifice one to find out. Using a pair of pliers, snap off a tiny corner. If it is tempered it will shatter into a million pieces.

RuXPiN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2006
Steve Irwins Shadow
i got 3/16th in mine, worry about it breaking all the time, this is what im doin, i got the 3/16 th in there till i get a killer deal or a freebie on some half, absolutly no worries a half

nero6370

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2006
Medina, Ohio
THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK GUYS; I NOW KNOW IT'S NOT TEMPERED DUE TO ONE PIECE HAVING A SMALL CHIP OUT OF ONE CORNER. HOWEVER, I BELIEVE I WAS UNCLEAR IN MY ORIGINAL POST. THE BRACING I INTEND TO USE WILL BE ON THE GLASS FACE ITSELF. I PLAN TO CUT OUT MY FRONT PIECE OF PLYWOOD IN A WAY THAT WILL LEAVE A VERTICAL BRACE RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MY GLASS. I CAN CUT FOR MORE THAN ONE BRACE IF NECESSARY; ONE EVERY 2 FEET FOR INSTANCE. I IMAGINE THIS HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE, BUT I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY TANKS MADE IN THIS WAY.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store