Picking a species for my 75 gallon

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
I was confused on where to post this so feel free to move it(or ask me to re-make it) if I messed up.

Anyway I had my 75 gallon set-up with apistograma and other peaceful fish, then it hit me that I really only had a few fish and they could easily fit in my 30 gallon. I was trying to find more peaceful species I liked ,but it just was not happening. Long story short the 75 gallon is open again!

I love the rainbow wolf-fish ,but I would like to keep it with something else if that is possible. On youtube I see people keeping it with bichir in 40 gallon breeders. I kind of like the idea of a set-up like that. What do you guys think would be able to stay with it? If nothing can live with it then I am open to a totally different species.

In an ideal world I would like the tank to have something that lives on the bottom and more than 1 fish swimming in the mid/upper levels. Like 1 wolf fish, 1 bichir, and 1 open water fish(medium cichlid maybe) I am able to provide various types of live food that I raise my self ,so keep that in mind when suggesting!

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post!

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Red wolf can be kept with bichirs without any problem. As it gets bigger the polys won't be able to look at it as food. Would advise only upper jaw polys except for ornate, weeks in, and teugelsi. Due to the size of the polys and tank.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Cichlids and red wolves will be not advised to due to aggression and territorial disputes. But can add barbs or certain catfish. Th red wolf will need to be on the smaller size and introduced with other fish. That way they will Cohab well.

Omrit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2015
Cichlids and red wolves will be not advised to due to aggression and territorial disputes. But can add barbs or certain catfish. Th red wolf will need to be on the smaller size and introduced with other fish. That way they will Cohab well.
What sort of barbs do you recommend? Like filament barbs or more like tiger barbs? I know very little about barbs.....

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Filament, rose lines, or teardrops.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Yes different. They have similar spots toward the tail.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Aome red or regular Congo Tertas, bush fish, African knife, bgk, and certain climbing perches.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Hujeta gar/pike characin or grass pickerel for the upper water column, bichirs bottom, wolf middle

Reactions: kno4te
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store