Picking the right tank size for a solo fish

Deadlink

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
Hey everyone!
I'm putting together a new aquarium set up and I am keen on solo "wet pet" since my past tanks have been tropical/small schooling fish. I'm trying to balance the dimensions/tank weight against what environment is best for the fish.

I have 4 possible tank options and I have ranked them in order of best to worst (but still doable) for my home.
My question to you is, what solo fish do you feel could live happily in each tank? Any ideas are welcome :) LxWxH

1) 50 gal (36x18x18)
2) 65 gal (36x24x18)
3) 65 gal (48x18x18)
4) 85 gal (36x24x24)

I'm fairly keen on the more intelligent/interactive fish like flowerhorns, oscars, texas cichlids etc. I'm just a little unsure of how they would do in odd tank sizes like 3ft extra wides hence why I'm asking the same old tank size question. If it makes a difference I currently have 660gph in the form of 2 canister filters and I'd be open to 1 to 2 water changes per week. My perfect set up would be a Flowerhorn in either tank 1 or 2 with a weekly water change but I'm open to other options if that would be cruel for the fish.
Thanks in advance!!

Deadlink

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
ad88 ad88 Thanks for the reply! Is that because tank 3 has the 4ft length? I could manage 2 water changes a week or upgrading the tank down the line so thats an option.
What fish would you recommend for the other tank I could run?

ad88

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Oklahoma
ad88 ad88 Thanks for the reply! Is that because tank 3 has the 4ft length? I could manage 2 water changes a week or upgrading the tank down the line so thats an option.
What fish would you recommend for the other tank I could run?
Yes because of the 4 ft length. Since you are fine with hybrids I would say blood Parrot I have one and he is very interactive and actually a butthole he is in a 6 ft tank and races to bite me anytime I stick my hands in the tank!

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Deadlink

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
ad88 ad88 , FINWIN FINWIN & biguebs biguebs Thanks for the suggestions guys. At this stage it sounds like the 4ft 65gal w/ a Flowerhorn is the way to go.

I'll have to wait until the lockdowns are loosened until I can order the setup. In the mean time are there any other suggestions for the 3ft 65gal tanks?

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
welcome!

I like the 75g or 65g I’m your case for the solo fish....

like the flowerhorn idea! I’ve had solo Serra P’s I’ve appreciated...

Good luck!

Deadlink

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2019
dr exum dr exum Thanks! Do you mean the 4ft or 3ft 65gal? And I wasn't able to find a Serra P fish, is there another name I could Google? Sorry I'm not super familiar with fish names yet

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
If possible base of 48 x 24 would be best, not one of the options.

I like the idea of 48x18x18best out of 4 options. But slightly bit taller tank would be better, dimensions of 75g.

I own a flowerhorn, they make very good wet pets.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store