Pictus Catfish Aggression?

SidKarver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Gone fishin...
I have 4 Pictus Cats . . . And they hate each other. :(

Everything I read says that when they're young they prefer to be kept in a school, and when they're mature they prefer smaller groups.. Why do mine each have their own territory? They rarely interact with one another, until the feeding frenzy, at which time they chase and nip each other (no serious damage ever done).

Complete anti-social behavior.

Any Pictus Cat owners here experience this before? is there any remedy?

I've tried rearranging the tank, that didn't work... :confused:

GhostShrimpMan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2010
Brownsville, Texas
Same here, my 2 pictus catfish started out friends and now one chases away the other from "his" cave/territory. Made another for the other. Don't really think there is a remedy though.

fishmamma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have 2 (babies 3"), and I noticed that fish (1) was trying to hang out with fish (2) in his spot, and and fish 2 was not having it.. fish 2 kept pushing him out.. although they hang out sometimes... I haven't seen any fin nipping yet...

SidKarver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Gone fishin...
People shouldn't post information saying they are social and like to be kept in schools.

They are loners.

Lemme guess, my Oscar can also be housed in a 10 gal? LOL.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Post a pic. I've seen some Blochii being sold as Pictus Cats. Those will get larger and are usually loners.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
fishmamma;5093566; said:
Yo Ben! these are mine... they where sold as Spotted Pictus.. pictures are not great...
From what I can see, those are Pictus Cats:) Another thing to think about is that there are schooling fish out there that don't do well in pairs. For some reason, they end up fighting each other without a larger group...probably need to spread the aggression.

I've a a small group of Pictus awhile back. The only problem I had with them was they kept getting ich. I even had them in a small tank without them fighting each other and mine were only a trio. However, they did end up hiding more than being the active fish I saw at the store.

SidKarver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Gone fishin...
I'll post some pics tonight when they come out to eat.

SidKarver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Gone fishin...
benzjamin13;5093598; said:
From what I can see, those are Pictus Cats:) Another thing to think about is that there are schooling fish out there that don't do well in pairs. For some reason, they end up fighting each other without a larger group...probably need to spread the aggression.

I've a a small group of Pictus awhile back. The only problem I had with them was they kept getting ich. I even had them in a small tank without them fighting each other and mine were only a trio. However, they did end up hiding more than being the active fish I saw at the store.
That's odd. My tank recently came down with ich, my pictus cats and pleco were the only ones to survive. All 6 of my CL's died, but the pictus live strong :)

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
benzjamin13;5093598; said:

this, there like loches almost in a way they need a big school.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store