Pike advice

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
New to pikes not new to fish. I'm currently planning a SA cichlid tank in a 135 gallon tank. I plan on stocking it with a single severum, a group of guianacara, BN pleco, and potentially a pair of aequidens of some sort. I was considering a pair or so of pike cichlids (or potentially just a single). I've researched the regani pike but my water is a bit on the hard side with a pH of 7.8. I've seen the compressiceps pike suggested as a better match but wanted to know if there were any other options that would not eat or beat up on the other fish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Dwarf pikes should be fine for ur tank. They are safe and peaceful.

mrrobxc mrrobxc Rocksor Rocksor

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Saxatilis pikes are a good bet. You can find Lucius, Sveni, and a white sports variant right now among the US vendors. Rapps has sp. Orinoco. Regain are floating around. And conoressiceps are around too.

Given the tank size, I’d get a saxatilis. But compressiceps are very beautiful even though they’re dwarves.

As for water, only thing that matters is that it’s clean. That’s unless you’re trying to breed

Reactions: tlindsey

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Thanks mrrobxc mrrobxc Honestly I'd prefer just an individual. Not really interested in breeding

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Man that saxatilis is an attractive species. But unless i want to stick with a dwarf, it appears the only one that seems available right now is the lucius unless i want to pay the over priced shipping from wetspot for a sveni

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Man that saxatilis is an attractive species. But unless i want to stick with a dwarf, it appears the only one that seems available right now is the lucius unless i want to pay the over priced shipping from wetspot for a sveni
Check out all the online sources. There are three saxatilis type pikes available now. Aquascapeonline has saxatilis.

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Check out all the online sources. There are three saxatilis type pikes available now. Aquascapeonline has saxatilis.
Thanks for the tip. Never used aquascapeonline before. That saxatilis is nice but 85 is more than i'm willing to spend on one right now. Will have to keep looking for other options.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Could try exotic fish shop. He has a menezesi in his stock. Hard to tell with pics but might be an option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store