Pike behavior-curious

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
Alright, almost a year ago I picked up this ven, and it's been a pleasure. Especially when I dangle a finger or food in the water & it takes a bite :) .

Last month I noticed it just sitting on the floor of the tank for a while then it would become very active and beg-crazy, and normal (cruising and occasionally pestering tank mates)...I've seen it do this maybe once or twice a week and was wondering if this was normal?

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Depends on the species. Some pikes will just lay on the bottom, kind of like taking a breather, and survey their surroundings. If it doesn't have a place to go into or hide, then the will normally do this out in the open. Mine would do it relatively frequently, then once they were satisfied all was well, would continue swimming again. There shouldn't be any reason to be concerned...:D

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
That's what I was thinking, but just want to get others to share their experience-and possibly add their stories of other odd/unique behaviors.

Thanks for replying Peanut.

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas
This is a different pike, but it has formed a kind-of odd couple relationship with another fish in the tank (uaru amphiacanthoides)

Crenicichla sp venezuela 4 1 12 2.jpgCrenicichla sp venezuela 4 1 12 3.jpgCrenicichla sp venezuela 4 1 12.jpg

Crenicichla sp venezuela 4 1 12 2.jpg

Crenicichla sp venezuela 4 1 12 3.jpg

Crenicichla sp venezuela 4 1 12.jpg

Juand15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
Gastonia NC
Try to give it a place to relax. for example i give my pikes bamboo caves long enough for them to fit and they go and relax for a while!

Juan

Juand15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
Gastonia NC
Try to give it a place to relax. for example i give my pikes bamboo caves long enough for them to fit and they go and relax for a while!

Juan

Carg R

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2006
Texas

Juan
The pike has access to a hollowed out log. The Uaru and the Pike just like to hang around each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store