pike cichlid compatibility

chafed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Las Vegas
how do pike cichlids (particularly Crenicichal lepidota) act around less aggressive south american cichlids, like angels and curviceps? will they only attack things small enough to fit in their mouth?

thanks

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Most fish, Crenicichla or not, will attack and try to eat stuff that is small enough to fit in their mouth. Just a natural response I guess.

About the pike with the less aggressive fish, I don't see why not. I kept festivum, angels, Krobia sp. 'xingu orange spot', and several other nonaggressive fish with my pikes over the years. :) Just keep an eye on aggression. Everything should be alright though. :)

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
I've heard a lot of comments about how aggressive some pikes can be, but mine have been really mellow. I guess I've either been pretty lucky, or people have a tendancy to over-exaggerate the aggression of crenicichla. Try the combo, and monitor their behavior closely for a bit. Sometimes you just have to give it a shot to find out for sure.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
I would think a full grown lepidota would be able to swallow adult curviceps ... but eating isn't aggression. :ROFL:

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I have kept them with geos, gymnogeos, danios, angels, silver dollars, and other non aggressive fish. I think that they are really only nasty to their own kind. that is just what I have seen though.

MzY

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2018
Most fish, Crenicichla or not, will attack and try to eat stuff that is small enough to fit in their mouth. Just a natural response I guess.

About the pike with the less aggressive fish, I don't see why not. I kept festivum, angels, Krobia sp. 'xingu orange spot', and several other nonaggressive fish with my pikes over the years. :) Just keep an eye on aggression. Everything should be alright though. :)
i have rte, rio blanco... i believe it called red tiger he is 6 inches still a baby. i have red devil cichlid female in there as well. same size..
my question is i am planning to add couple more fishes any advice before i added,
6 inches albino red belly pacu alone side with 6 inches pike... shall i do it or not?.. i am afraid of my rio blanco red tiger he is very aggressive fish.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
i have rte, rio blanco... i believe it called red tiger he is 6 inches still a baby. i have red devil cichlid female in there as well. same size..
my question is i am planning to add couple more fishes any advice before i added,
6 inches albino red belly pacu alone side with 6 inches pike... shall i do it or not?.. i am afraid of my rio blanco red tiger he is very aggressive fish.
thread is 10 years old man, Make a new thread in general aquariua discussion or in CA/SA cichlids, and people will help you out

Reactions: fishdat
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store