Pike cichlid for a 75g?

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
Hello I was wonder what pike would work for me in my 75g I have two delhezi bichirs growing out that will be in there and I will be getting 3 clouded archers so that is the bottom and top of the water column covered but I would maybe like a pike for the middle that stayes 8"-12"

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Pikes from the saxatalis group should work.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
You can maybe get a Cameta Pike Cichlid they get too 8 in
then their are Ring Tailed Pike who get too 8 in also then their are Marbled Pikes who too a good 12 in hope this helps.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
As duanes duanes said, some kind of saxitillis might work, but they aren't too fond of other pikes or similar shaped fish, so it could raise hell with your bichirs. I had one destroy a Lima shovelnose (sorubium lima) that was the same size. Crenicichla are agile, fast, and intelligent.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
ok If i had lots of hidding places and things to break their line of sight could it work? I plan on lightley to mediumly planting the tank worst comes to work I can always throw it in my big cichlid tank with my oscars and JD I just would really love a personable fish for that tank

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
ok If i had lots of hidding places and things to break their line of sight could it work? I plan on lightley to mediumly planting the tank worst comes to work I can always throw it in my big cichlid tank with my oscars and JD I just would really love a personable fish for that tank
I mean theoretically it should work but like robmcd robmcd
said they are agile and fast and like other cichlids intelligent also I heard that some individuals/species of pike cichlids are really aggressive/territorial to their tankmates and also like other species of big cichlids plants may not be safe because cichlids are notorious for rearranging their tank decor.
Also duanes duanes can you pitch in your thought on this please.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Lugubris pikes get 11-18", depending on species (johanna, venezuela sp., etc). They are susceptible to HITH when crowded and not enough water changes are done. I wouldn't keep them in a 75g, it's a bit small. Stick to pikes from the saxatilis or dwarf families for a 75g.

Line of sight breaks do not help. When pikes hate another fish, they will hunt them down relentlessly, ignoring other cichlids.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
ok I have seen vids of what pikes can do to other fish I just really love their looks are their any other center peice cichlids that have some what of the same personality I mean I love my polys and cats but when It comes to personality their is nothing like a cichlid

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store