Pike cichlid for a 75g?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
ok I have seen vids of what pikes can do to other fish I just really love their looks are their any other center peice cichlids that have some what of the same personality I mean I love my polys and cats but when It comes to personality their is nothing like a cichlid
Green terrors are close to being like an oscar (personality and aggression) but generally stay much smaller. You'd get overstocked bioload-wise adding it with the other fish in the 75 g once it gets to about 9". It would require more than 1 fin level water change a week.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
ok I have seen vids of what pikes can do to other fish I just really love their looks are their any other center peice cichlids that have some what of the same personality I mean I love my polys and cats but when It comes to personality their is nothing like a cichlid
Get a pike, and lose the bichirs. You will not be disappointed.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I consider a 75 too small for any but dwarf pikes, and any pike, or any cichlid that grows more than 7.5", I consider too large for a 75.
When the bichirs and archers are adults, your tank would already be maxed stock wise.
Another problem (as mentioned above) is territoriality, and any elongate similar shaped and mouth shape cichlid such a a pike will see similar shaped fish as competitors, and tend to clash, especially in such a small tank.
The belly crawlers I had were fine with high bodied (non-similar looking non-similar mouth shaped fish), but I always kept in tanks at minimum double that size.

Last edited:

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
duanes duanes even with the listed stocking?
If you mean 2 oscars, and a pleco, adding a pike might work, because they are all different. so may not see each other as competitors.
Of course when all hit full adult sizes, (depending on pike species) a 125 could seem small and overcrowded.
But putting similar looking fish together like pikes and bichirs tends to be problematic.
I can't speak to knife fish, never owned any.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
As duanes duanes said, some kind of saxitillis might work, but they aren't too fond of other pikes or similar shaped fish, so it could raise hell with your bichirs. I had one destroy a Lima shovelnose (sorubium lima) that was the same size. Crenicichla are agile, fast, and intelligent.
I know I’m late to the party but I’ll second this. I have a large male belly crawler and he leaves my shovelnose alone but absolutely hates my Delhezi. I scraped it in a way to break the line of sight and that saved the Delhezi

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store