Pike cichlid Identification

Jaleely

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2019
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong place. it's not working very well on my phone. Anyway, we got this fish from Petco but of course we can't figure out what specific locale she is. kind of think it is a girl. I'd like to know if you guys can help me id her and verify her sex. Thank you! what I've seen so far are markings don't really match anything I can find very specifically. She has little bits that seemed to work for different species.

2019-01-12_13.43.58.jpg

Ugh it DID post in the wrong place. Feel free to move it! Thanks!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong place. it's not working very well on my phone. Anyway, we got this fish from Petco but of course we can't figure out what specific locale she is. kind of think it is a girl. I'd like to know if you guys can help me id her and verify her sex. Thank you! what I've seen so far are markings don't really match anything I can find very specifically. She has little bits that seemed to work for different species.

View attachment 1353913

Ugh it DID post in the wrong place. Feel free to move it! Thanks!
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/identification-pike-cichlid.671143/#post-7537993

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like a stressed out crenicichla sp Venezuela.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA

Jaleely

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2019
She's not stressed out. She has looked the same since day one. She began for food, ears ravenously, follows me, is curious, and definitely is not bothered by anything. She's in a heavily planted, 110 gallon tank with a pleco. We tried to introduce another fish a wekwago and she flared up with a dark stripe,my husband said. But we took it out and she went back to normal. This is her normal.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
She's not stressed out. She has looked the same since day one. She began for food, ears ravenously, follows me, is curious, and definitely is not bothered by anything. She's in a heavily planted, 110 gallon tank with a pleco. We tried to introduce another fish a wekwago and she flared up with a dark stripe,my husband said. But we took it out and she went back to normal. This is her normal.
It’ll eventually change striping, color up and the markings will come through.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Do you see a tail spot that is separated from the horizontal black line? Or is it just a horizontal black line that covers the tail spot all the way to the end of the tail?

Another characteristic of a Johanna is that the nostril touches the upper lip.

Jaleely

Feeder Fish
Jan 1, 2019
It’ll eventually change striping, color up and the markings will come through.
Thanks! Do you think it's Crenicichla sp. "Venezuela"? That seems very broad from pictures....she has no real stripe (been about a month really, and eating like a pig, so she's grown a lot).
I'd really like to get another one, and a tank mate or two. I *think* she's female but....lol

Her "orangey pink" tail is bright, but the spots and stripes are still not showing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store