Pike cichlid Identification

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I don't think it's a Venezuela. Tail stripe, and coloration of body and fins, is off. Though it does have the lugubris-group head markings... It does look more like a johanna to me due to the black stripe, and nostrils seem close to mouth. The coloration seems odd for a johanna to me, but coloration can vary widely within the species. That would be my guess but I'm not fully convinced of that either to be honest.

Mokles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2019
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong place. it's not working very well on my phone. Anyway, we got this fish from Petco but of course we can't figure out what specific locale she is. kind of think it is a girl. I'd like to know if you guys can help me id her and verify her sex. Thank you! what I've seen so far are markings don't really match anything I can find very specifically. She has little bits that seemed to work for different species.

View attachment 1353913

Ugh it DID post in the wrong place. Feel free to move it! Thanks!
It’ll eventually change striping, color up and the markings will come through.
Sorry, I cant seem to figure out how to make a new thread but this is the closest thread I could find. Some people said how they change colors. However, I have a belly crawler pike cichlid ( I dont know scientific) many call it common pike cichlid. It sometimes has orange crest outlines on its gills on both sides. At first, I thought it was some sort of gill disease or problem, but the color was orange and not some red streak. The orange gills sometimes come and sometimes goes.

Here are my stats just in case it has to do with something...(Fairly new tank, has been running for litte less than 2 months)
Tank: 55 Gallons semi planted with java fern a lot of driftwood
Pike Cichlid: 5 inches
Bichir: 5 inches
PH: 6.0 ish
Temp: 80 Ferinheit
(trates and trites might be inaccuarate cuz i used the strips but idk)
Nitrite: <20ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry, I cant seem to figure out how to make a new thread but this is the closest thread I could find. Some people said how they change colors. However, I have a belly crawler pike cichlid ( I dont know scientific) many call it common pike cichlid. It sometimes has orange crest outlines on its gills on both sides. At first, I thought it was some sort of gill disease or problem, but the color was orange and not some red streak. The orange gills sometimes come and sometimes goes.

Here are my stats just in case it has to do with something...(Fairly new tank, has been running for litte less than 2 months)
Tank: 55 Gallons semi planted with java fern a lot of driftwood
Pike Cichlid: 5 inches
Bichir: 5 inches
PH: 6.0 ish
Temp: 80 Ferinheit
(trates and trites might be inaccuarate cuz i used the strips but idk)
Nitrite: <20ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm
Would retest with a liquid kit as ur tank doesn’t look fully cycled with those numbers.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store