Pike cichlid in raised pH

k98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2006
CANADA
may add some driftwood,almond leafs in your canister,or some moss who i dont know the english name

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Oddball;542615; said:
Most pike species live in waters with the pH below 7.0. A few can tolerate a pH of 7.5. At a pH of 8.0, the pike will probably...

Actually they can tolerate high pHs quite well. When I was in Nebraska my water was hard and very high pH...8.2...and I kept mostly all pikes. Just gotta acclimate them to it. Make sure there aren't any pH swings though, cuz they DO NOT handle those well. Seriously stresses them out, more than most fish. The higher pH seems to help with reducing the breakouts of HITH for some reason, as none of my pikes got it while i was there. I've heard stories of people keepin their pikes in lower pH's and having troubles with HITH. If you want to BREED your pikes though, the lower the pH the better....;). Aim for 6 to 7 as a general...with 6 being better. One of my buddies kept his sp. 'venezuela' in 4.5 pH and the pike looked AWESOME!! Had it with Satanoperca daemon.

If you have the lower pH it is better all around, better colors, happier fish, stuff like that. But if your pH is high, don't stress about lowering it because you could actually do more damage trying to lower it than if you just left it alone. Most of you have seen pictures of my pikes, and they look pretty snazzy to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store