Pike cichlid trouble healing

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Rocksor brings up a good point I failed to consider.
Bichirs prefer slow flow conditions like oxbows and swamps, and are able to use atmospheric oxygen to survive in those habitats.
Most pikes need moderate to high flow conditions, saturated with oxygen, otherwise become susceptible to bacterial and fungal diseases.
When I kept pikes, beside normal filtration, I added powerheads to tanks to create high flow conditions across the entire length of the tank.
This however, could be stressful for the bichirs (they really don't belong together in the same tank))
relevant video below
Pike cichlids, Crenicichla: guide to all the species from the Rio XIngu in nature and the aquarium

jan

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2009
norway
Hi,yes i think driftwood and almond leaves is healty for blackwater species,maybe for whitewater species also,owned a lot of bl.species over the years and always driftwood and fresh almond leaves in the tank and wc.some 60% every week,god fltration and quality food,pellets,shrimp and so on,never had hole in the head and other issues,skipped it sometimes and trouble began with the healt of the fishes,pikes and daemon and their likes.

20191003_140316.jpg

20200908_083939.jpg

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
What is the diet? How often and how much do they eat? I'm guessing there is very little current in the tank due to the bichirs.

Can we get another full side view of the one with the red inside the mouth?
Sorry for the late reply, they love massivore delite, as well as shrimp and tilapia. I have a powerhead rated for 90 gallons but is positioned at the top of the tank.

fishmarket

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2021
earth
Another update: I have two huge pieces of mopani driftwood for a few weeks now and water is light brown in color. Lips have been healing well until today, there are new sores and look a bit disfigured. I have a good feeling that he has been fighting with one of the fishes this whole time which delayed healing. Maybe the other pike?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store