Pike for 135 gallon tank?

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
I've got an empty 135 gallon (72"x18") tank and I'm thinking I'd like to get a big, colorful pike as a centerpiece fish. I'd like to be able to keep it with some colorful new world cichlids (preferably green terror or blue acara but open to others) without too much carnage. I'd also like it to be able to live comfortably in the 135g for its whole life as I don't have the money or space for another large tank. I'm guessing I only have space for one, but a pair or trio of something would be great. What do you guys suggest?

My LFS gets really nice red atabapo pikes and says they should be ok in a 135, but everything I've read online says they need 180 gallons. Does anyone have experience with red atabapos in a 135?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
mrrobxc mrrobxc Rocksor Rocksor crenicichla444 crenicichla444

Reiner

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2005
Los Angeles
Don't really have a suggestion on what you should get but the Red atabapos can grow over 12" and a fish of that size shouldn't be in a tank that's 18" wide IMO.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Don't really have a suggestion on what you should get but the Red atabapos can grow over 12" and a fish of that size shouldn't be in a tank that's 18" wide IMO.
I agree with Reiner. Stay with the saxatilis or acutirostris types. The acutirostris types will push 12-14” but are much slimmer and less robust. Also are easier to mix with other fish in a small tank like a 135.

If you get saxatilis types, they range from 6-12” full grown with females being smaller within a species. A 135 would be perfect for them mixed with GT’s and others.

Some common available saxatilis types are proteus, inirida, sveni, anthurus, albopunctata, and cf. saxatilis. Nickeriensis is also around.

Reactions: Matteus and Seedy J

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
My 12+" female atabapo 1 would look cramped in an 18" wide tank. 6" doesn't sound like much, but it will make a difference. I currently have her in a 24" wide tank.

Reactions: Matteus and mrrobxc

Seedy J

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Colorado, USA
OK, too bad but it sounds like an atabapo really won't work in my tank.

I agree with Reiner. Stay with the saxatilis or acutirostris types. The acutirostris types will push 12-14” but are much slimmer and less robust. Also are easier to mix with other fish in a small tank like a 135.
Acutirostris sounds like just the thing I'm looking for. Thanks!

Reactions: Matteus and mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
OK, too bad but it sounds like an atabapo really won't work in my tank.

Acutirostris sounds like just the thing I'm looking for. Thanks!
Keep an eye in Jeff rapps lists. He should be getting in a Brazil order soon.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store