Pine wood of aquarim decor.

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
I have only Aspen and pine trees around me. Could in use dry pine in my tank. Or if I find soaked pine at the lake tahoe would that be ok?

Anyone know what wood is not safe?

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
dry pine no, the saps may be harmful but proper driftwood would be fine (assuming its been submerged for a very long time) i got a peice of driftwood that i have good reason to belive was originaly cedar and its been fine in my 150 for about 9 months with no obvious issues

alot of people on here will say that pine,cedar, and other conifers are bad and will kill your fish but if you look at there location they come form somewhere where there isn't any conifers and are obviously just regurgitating outdated info

there is nothing toxic in pine sap anyway (toxic to insects maybe but fish arn't insects) its all just water, sugars, and plant hormones

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Everyone knows that pine trees contain sap and that the sap can be harmful to fish. If you walk through a pine forest, you can smell the pine oils. why take the risk when there are many safer woods to choose from?

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
If the wood is aromatic it shouldn't be used.

Zander_The_RBP;3861234; said:
there is nothing toxic in pine sap anyway (toxic to insects maybe but fish arn't insects) its all just water, sugars, and plant hormones
It it's not toxic then why can pine/cedar branches and shavings make animals such as reptiles and birds sick?

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
phillydog1958;3861253; said:
Everyone knows that pine trees contain sap and that the sap can be harmful to fish. If you walk through a pine forest, you can smell the pine oils. why take the risk when there are many safer woods to choose from?
i can smell sugar does that mean it's toxic ?

no doubt the sap is potentialy toxic to fish (pine dust over time causes lung damage to people if inhaled) the thing is that in proper driftwood theres no sap left and so you have no problems

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Vicious_Fish;3861289; said:
If the wood is aromatic it shouldn't be used.

It it's not toxic then why can pine/cedar branches and shavings make animals such as reptiles and birds sick?
i apologize for exaggerating it's definatly toxic

the thing is that there no sap left in the wood if it's been submerged for a long enough time

your right though if you can smell anything from the wood it hasn't been submerged long enough and you will run into issues whether it's pine or not

there was a post about this on Aquaria Central a long time ago ill see if i can find it, it was very informative

pine sap is toxic, pine driftwood is perfectly fine

convicts94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Vancouver,Canada
Zander_The_RBP;3861321; said:
i apologize for exaggerating it's definatly toxic

the thing is that there no sap left in the wood if it's been submerged for a long enough time

your right though if you can smell anything from the wood it hasn't been submerged long enough and you will run into issues whether it's pine or not

there was a post about this on Aquaria Central a long time ago ill see if i can find it, it was very informative

pine sap is toxic, pine driftwood is perfectly fine
can i use purple leaf plum tree wood for my tank? its fully dry and this tree doesnt have sap. All i wanna know is is it safe and how do i make it sink?

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
Ok so if I found a big chunk of pine that was black from being burned and Was soaked in the lake and washed up on the beach. Would that be ok. Sound like people are saying all types of drift wood are ok as long as they are well aged in water??
I'm sick of paying for wood. I used rocks I find but I know what Types if rocks will not mess my ph.

Thanks for the info.

Drunken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2007
Denmark
The reason Pine wood is bad for your tank is the sap and oils within the tree`s, pine have (one of) the highest contensts of sap. Pine is also the most used wood when producing Turpentine, becuase of it, pine sap is also antibacterial.
The process of extracting Turpentine from pine involves soaking the wood in water while warming it, then finnally boil the "liquid" to get pure turpentine. Basicly you would do the first step of the process in your tank. Not a good idea.

In general fruit tree`s a BIG NO asswell, many are downright toxic, fruit tree`s contain acids, desolvants and parrafin`s.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store