Pink Tail Chalceus Differences

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I have never kept Pink Tail Chalseus, but my fish friend had 6 of them in a 200 with large cichlid. They are peaceful with other fish, but constantly at war with one another. Their lips are always torn from locking jaw with one another. He is now down to one that has grown to 12 inch, and the rest were dead from in fighting or forced to jump out of the tank.

It’s an imposing fish by size, torpedo shape, and constant pacing on the upper water column. It resembles barracuda in shape and arrowana in habit to me. I would like to keep one in my 125 since keeping predatory arrowana or barracuda in my mixed cichlid tank is not an option.

Reactions: Vancouver_98683

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I have never kept Pink Tail Chalseus, but my fish friend had 6 of them in a 200 with large cichlid. They are peaceful with other fish, but constantly at war with one another. Their lips are always torn from locking jaw with one another. He is now down to one that has grown to 12 inch, and the rest were dead from in fighting or forced to jump out of the tank.

It’s an imposing fish by size, torpedo shape, and constant pacing on the upper water column. It resembles barracuda in shape and arrowana in habit to me. I would like to keep one in my 125 since keeping predatory arrowana or barracuda in my mixed cichlid tank is not an option.

Always thought they would do better in schools of 5 or more. Guess not. Which one did your friend have? The one on the left or the right from my first post? My LFS has about 20 juveniles for 8 bucks each of the left. I'm starting to like the one on the right. It's prettier, less fierce looking, and not as common, lol..

- Left fish from my original pic -

chalceus_erythrurus_2.jpg

- RIght Fish from my pic -

chalceus_macrolepidotus_2.jpg

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I used to have a school of yellow fin in my 220.
Totally skittish. Some died from running into the glass walls. Those who didn't smash their faces in, ate my plants.

I absolutely love the looks of a school of yellows, and I was totally bummed that I had to let go of them. But they really didn't work out for me. I'm glad to hear that your duo is doing fine.

slyme

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2018
Indonesia

What about these guys? I'll like to buy 1 or 2, is it safe keep them with Pbass?
Can i keep 1 pinktail or must 2 or more?
Thanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

What about these guys? I'll like to buy 1 or 2, is it safe keep them with Pbass?
Can i keep 1 pinktail or must 2 or more?
Thanks
Pbass will outgrow them quick and make a meal out of them. But one or more is fine. Prefer being in groups.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store