Pink tail chalceus

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
I've a peacock Bass, Silver Aro, An albino red eye bichir, green bichir and an ornate bichir. Do y'all think a Pink tail chalceus would do in a tank with these fish? Also would appreciate if I got info about the pink tail chalceus? There's very less info out there about the PTC. Wanted to know about it's temperament, will they accept feeder goldfish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I've a peacock Bass, Silver Aro, An albino red eye bichir, green bichir and an ornate bichir. Do y'all think a Pink tail chalceus would do in a tank with these fish? Also would appreciate if I got info about the pink tail chalceus? There's very less info out there about the PTC. Wanted to know about it's temperament, will they accept feeder goldfish?
Don’t think it’ll work with the silver aro and pbass. It’ll work out when small but eventually will get eaten. They will take flakes, pellets and prepared foods without probs.

TakkerDada

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2020
Don’t think it’ll work with the silver aro and pbass. It’ll work out when small but eventually will get eaten. They will take flakes, pellets and prepared foods without probs.
Thought it was a predator fish

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
My chalceus recently passed. I got him when he was 3" and he was about 10-11" when he died. My initial research told me they were semi aggressive and would pick off little fish. This was not my experience. He was very placid and never bothered any of my other fish. He was in a 180g glass tank for the most part but as he grew he started to get more skittish. Sudden movement would occasionally freak him out. Eventually I put him in my fibreglass 360g and the skittishness stopped immediately, he went back to being proper chilled again.

They dwell in the top level of the tank, same as arowanas unfortunately, sometimes just staying motionless for long periods of time, waiting for that sudden plop of food, and then BAM! they spring into life. Mine used to love garden worms but would eat pellets, flake, loved prawns too. But never ever did I offer him live.

They like a current too, I achieved this with powerheads which came on intermittently. He liked to swim in the strong current for seconds at a time, almost as if he was testing his own strength.

All in all a brilliant fish but as mentioned in other posts a chalceus in your tank may be out of their depth and get picked on, or eaten, especially patrolling the same top level of water as your aro.

Honestly, i'd pass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store