pirahnas

pirahnafreak

Feeder Fish
Oct 21, 2005
florida
hey everybody, I'm new to this computer discussion thing., I believe you call it "old school". Started out scuba diving and keeping oddities in saltwater. My favorite was my giant mantis shrimp. I tried sharks, eels, even blue-ring octopus. Anyway, after many years away from the aquarium hobby, Iam fascinated by the thought of a tankful of super red-belly pirahnas. I've never kept them and I really want to do it right, any thoughts?

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
My cousin had Ps at one pont I wasnt real impressed with them, They were really skiddish. Plus there Illeagal up here in Ma as far as I know.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
joeytoe said:
My cousin had Ps at one pont I wasnt real impressed with them, They were really skiddish. Plus there Illeagal up here in Ma as far as I know.
just take a short drive down to rhode island and your all set to go :D

wism_chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
SG
If you enjoy seeing a group of p's snatching food from each other....then you may go for it....
if you enjoy the beauty of the fish.....then better dun go for p's.....
try some other beauty.....

reefman

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
In front of my tanks
joeytoe said:
i'm from ma. i had 13 rb and a rhom for about a year there just as boring as a eletric catfish

gubbz316

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2005
San Francisco
I had six in a 60gal they where boring at first allways hiding. And when you came into the room they would freak out until one day I got bored. I started feeding them anything I could just to see if they would eat it and they did eat everything incuding cat food? I dont know why, guess I was bored. Then one day I went down to the lps and bought a mouse and droped it in the tank. It swam in circles for like 30 min until one P swum up took a chunk out of its belly and then draged it under and they all attacked and ate it. After that day they totaly changed, they devoured mice leaving nothing left but a fur ball here and there. But they still didnt look mean to me so me and my budy caught each one and then cut the skin in front of there teeth off with surgical snips it made them look crazy. I also did water changes every few days there waste kills the water quality. Have fun with them hope you enjoy it.

FormulatedFire

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2005
Baltimore, Md
gubbz316 said:
I had six in a 60gal they where boring at first allways hiding. And when you came into the room they would freak out until one day I got bored. I started feeding them anything I could just to see if they would eat it and they did eat everything incuding cat food? I dont know why, guess I was bored. Then one day I went down to the lps and bought a mouse and droped it in the tank. It swam in circles for like 30 min until one P swum up took a chunk out of its belly and then draged it under and they all attacked and ate it. After that day they totaly changed, they devoured mice leaving nothing left but a fur ball here and there. But they still didnt look mean to me so me and my budy caught each one and then cut the skin in front of there teeth off with surgical snips it made them look crazy. I also did water changes every few days there waste kills the water quality. Have fun with them hope you enjoy it.
i'm not one for bashing but you my friend are a total retard and should have your lips cut off so we can see ur busted grill.....thats totally and utterly horrible...maybe you should try a hobby like sticking things in ur ass cuz you obviously have no respect for your animals.....

i love my p's and wouldnt give them up for anything....caribe are more aggressive than most as far as pygos go....if you want more info on piranhas instead of being bashed about wanting them try piranha-fury.com they dont bash you because of the fish you would like to own

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hi ya Gubbz and FFire, nice to see you at MFK, as you can see some people here don't like piranha, so what I don't care forflowerhorns or oscars but there is nothing wrong with those that do, (well, some of them maybe). I like piranha, I just don't expect them to be hyper killing machines instead of somewhat lazy but efficient killers. I just like the way they look and the way they sort of hover in place.
Trimming their lips is a practice that I have heard of before and do not like, the one lfs that I knew of that did that was one I refused to shop at, it gained him a few quicker sales among newbies but lost him a lot of long term customers, That kind of thing is really bad taste. Why show off their teeth like that unless the only reason you want them is for bragging rights?
I hope that if it ever comes up again you don't do it.

masonpjohnson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2005
Winter Harbor, Maine
I Just started a tank with RB's and I'm perfectly happy to have them as a conversation peice. I think they are the coolest eater's of the fish I've owned and think if you are able go ahead...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store