Piraiba/Dourada Fishing Suriname 2019

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
On the Rio Araguaia, I wish...
I know we have a fishing section on here but it doesn't get much attention and thought this post would be better suited here. I'm planning to head back to Suriname in late July/early August 2019 and was going to see if any fellow members would have interest in tagging along.

I will be fishing with the same company as last trip, Andree's Expeditions and the price is 2,199 Euro or about $2,550 USD for the trip at today's exchange rate.

This is not a trip for the faint of heart but for the true fishing enthusiast. Accommodations are more or less camping on a floating structure in bunk bed cot setups. There is no air conditioning or proper shower, you bath in there river. There are very few if any bugs on the floating camp, if you step foot into the jungle however there are plenty, hence part of the benefit of the floating camp.

This is a 10 day trip from start to finish with about 7-8 days fishing, most people arrive late evening then over night in the hotel in Paramaribo, depart early AM the following day to the local tackle shop Tomahawk, then we hit the road for about a 2.5hr bus ride to the dock followed by a 2.5hr boat ride to the primary floating camp.

You supply your own fishing tackle, rods, and reels
You supply own airfare from wherever you're coming from to Paramaribo, Suriname
All ground transportation is included from airport to hotel and onward to the floating camp both ways.
All meals and water/coke is provided. I highly recommend bringing/buying additional snacks/beer at the grocery store on the way or bringing with out if you have specific food preferences.

Fish Species available:

Piraiba to world record sizes, last trip I caught one that went 2.15M and est 275lbs, there have been fish to 2.25M caught in this location and who knows what sort of behemoths await below in the depths. I've seen rods/reels/heavy saltwater hooks/100lb+ braid broken. Even had one fish pull off 300yds of line against 50lbs of drag without slowing down before throwing the hook.

Dourada to world record sizes, last trip I caught one that would have shattered the world record at 1.67M and est 125lbs. It was the biggest any of the locals had seen in their 40+ years of fishing and would have crushed the current record by more than 20lbs and more than 1ft.

TSN are in the area in small numbers, if there was interest in going deeper towards Wonotobo Falls they are more prevalent there to 25lbs

RTC are in the area in small numbers, if there was interest in going deeper towards Wonotobo Falls they have them to gigantic 150lbs sizes

Pirahna species to at least 8lbs

Tarpon to 150lbs+

Cichla (Peacock Bass) to 5lbs

Tons of other smaller species, I caught paradise threadfin catfish, several types of armored catfish, cuvie (covina), various silver dollar species, etc.

More information can be found on their website and I will post some photos of my previous trip so people can get a better idea. Feel free to PM me any questions. I know it's a long way off but for some people they need more time to prepare for a trip like this so wanted to get it out there early. Custom trips are available if we have the group for it to go deeper to Wonotobo Falls.

https://www.andrees-expeditions.de/index.php/en/suriname-piraiba

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Beautiful one.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Funny enough. Myself and a friend was infact watching your video last night. We’re planning a trip over next year for piriba fishing. Friends been several
Times. Will be my first time over.
I’ll mostlikely be in touch in a few months.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
Funny enough. Myself and a friend were infact watching your video last night. We’re planning a trip over next year for Piraiba fishing. Friends been several times. Will be my first time over.
I’ll most likely be in touch in a few months.
Sounds good. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Tight Lines!

Reactions: Rpul

amazonfishman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2005
Update: The Wonotobo Falls trip has been added to the schedule after several friends and I pushed for it and is what I would likely be more interested in instead of fishing the same location as before. Trip is 2,999 Euro which is around $3,400 USD and has the same general specs as the trip mentioned earlier except this is a 15 day trip due to being far more remote. The trip date is in mid September instead of July/August.

https://www.andrees-expeditions.de/index.php/de/suriname-catfish-expedition

This is the trip primarily focused for those who want to target huge RTC and has them to the largest sizes I've seen anywhere rivaling the monsters in the even more remote area's of Guyana. I have no doubt there are world record size RTC near Wonotobo Falls. Piraiba and Dourada are available here to massive sizes as well. There is also a great opportunity on this trip to target Giant Wolf fish and the unique Suriname Peacock Bass which look very similar to those found in Brokopondo Reservoir or to some of the 2 spot Guyanan varieties. Lots of diversity on this trip for fish species compared to the other locations and very different looking terrain with beaches and large boulders as opposed to open river straight up to the forest. Any questions feel free to PM me.

I'm going to be putting together a trip for Pintado (Pseudoplatystoma Corruscans) near Corrientes, Argentina and Vundu (Heterobranchus Longifilis) off the grid in Tanzania, Africa in 2019/2020 if anyone might be interested in those as well.

Tight lines! ~Trent

1.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

Last edited:

shinchi5

Feeder Fish
May 15, 2019
I am quite interested in the trip. But I do not see information in English in the website which you quoted.

Sorry, no information in English on this 15 days trip?

I’m quite new to this bulletin board.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
amazonfishman amazonfishman

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com