Piranha attack!

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Wow that is a huge red belly ya got there. Definitely seems well fed/taken care of, keep up the good work.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Thank you! It's a 18 inch piraya piranha that's why it's so big, red bellies don't get this big.
Ok yeah that makes more sense. Lol if that was a red belly that would've been the biggest one I've ever seen. I think the biggest red bellies I've seen in person so far were 9in only so dwarfs compaired to your guy there. So are piraya a solitary specie or will they shoal/school? Never kept anything besides red bellies myself so I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to piranhas lol.

greg c

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2014
nj
Ok yeah that makes more sense. Lol if that was a red belly that would've been the biggest one I've ever seen. I think the biggest red bellies I've seen in person so far were 9in only so dwarfs compaired to your guy there. So are piraya a solitary specie or will they shoal/school? Never kept anything besides red bellies myself so I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to piranhas lol.
Piraya are a schooling piranha, I've seen people keep them with caribe, ternetzi, and red bellies

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Piraya are a schooling piranha, I've seen people keep them with caribe, ternetzi, and red bellies
Nice, they less skittish then red bellies atleast? All the red bellies I've seen/had we're honestly wimmpy, they would run and hide the moment ya walk upto the tank.

greg c

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2014
nj
Nice, they less skittish then red bellies atleast? All the red bellies I've seen/had we're honestly wimmpy, they would run and hide the moment ya walk upto the tank.
Red bellies are mostly skittish that I have owned, my caribe and my piraya are very outgoing, to be honest if I'm not quick and careful when I feed them I could lose a finger because they act more like a oscar cichlid

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Red bellies are mostly skittish that I have owned, my caribe and my piraya are very outgoing, to be honest if I'm not quick and careful when I feed them I could lose a finger because they act more like a oscar cichlid
Well I definitely love Oscars. Love how varied their personalities can be. Seems like no 2 are the exact same. Maybe once I get myself a bigger tank I'll have to look into getting one for myself.

greg c

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2014
nj
Well I definitely love Oscars. Love how varied their personalities can be. Seems like no 2 are the exact same. Maybe once I get myself a bigger tank I'll have to look into getting one for myself.
They definitely don't act like red bellies as you can see in the many videos of them eating

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store