Piranha keeping tips

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Ah. By weak ones you mean the weaker piranhas in the group right.
Hm.. better to add straight to the 70 then eh
Also,I have seen some tanks with just a single piranha , is that okay or is it a must fer a shoal?
Yes, the weakest ones.
I don’t see a problem putting them right in the 70.
I kept my red solo, they feel more secure in groups but will do fine on their own. The Serrasalmus genus do best alone though. Shoal gives that feeding reaction that they are famous for though.

RTC probe 3

Jack Dempsey
Apr 22, 2018
Yes, the weakest ones.
I don’t see a problem putting them right in the 70.
I kept my red solo, they feel more secure in groups but will do fine on their own. The Serrasalmus genus do best alone though. Shoal gives that feeding reaction that they are famous for though.
ah right, thanks very much fer the info.

Somesed

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2021
yeah, tank mates will not work with pygos. I've kept some small fish with large rhoms (even had them breed in the tank multiple times), but only with lots of cover, and even then it doesn't last forever.

And I agree to get in the 70gal ASAP. those little Ps are ferocious and grow fast!

Reactions: Deadeye and Caveden

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
dont piranhas need a 120 gallon+?
That’s going to be species dependent. Common red belly does fine in 60-75, something like a rhom needs larger like a 180.

Somesed

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2021
I've had some luck with established amazon swords with Ps. Not the newly purchased ones with the skinny stems, but after they change to the longer leaves. Also floating plats like water sprite (water sprite make great floating plants btw, one of my favs for piranhas) or hornwort

Reactions: Caveden and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store