briggsy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2010
london
Joshy;636830; said:
Scientific Name: Pygocentrus nattereri
Common Names: Red Bellied Piranha, Red Belly, Red
Distribution: Abundant and widespread throughout the rivers and water ways of South America.
Size: 10 inches (Captive), 12 inches (Wild)
Captivity: 20 gallons per nattereri is the common rule. However surface area plays more of a role than volume. As a shoaling fish, it is recommended that they be kept in at least groups of four. A powerful and efficient filtration system is needed. A temperature of 22-30C, and pH of 5.5-8.0 is required.
Personal Comment: These are one of the most durable and forgiving piranhas, and highly recommended for the beginner. However they are also one of the more skittish and nervous piranhas and may hide a lot when first introduced to the tank. It is recommended to give them plenty of hiding spaces, dim light and a good water current.

Scientific Name: Pygocentrus cariba
Common Names: Cariba Piranha, Black Shoulder/Black Ear Piranha
Distribution: The Rio Orinoco lowland basin and the Llanos region in Venezuela
Size: 12 inches (Captive), 14 inches (Wild)
Captivity: Although 20 gallons per cariba is used, many recommend 25 gallon each due to their aggression. As a shoaling fish, it is recommended that they be kept in at least groups of four. A powerful and efficient filtration system is needed. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: Known to be very aggressive by all standards, including amongst themselves. They are also a lot less skittish than nattereri if put in the correct conditions.

Scientific Name: Pygocentrus piraya
Common Names: Piraya Piranha
Distribution: Only found in the Rio São Francisco in Brazil.
Size: 16 inches (Captive), 24 inches (Wild)
Captivity: At least 40 gallons per piraya is needed, the more gallons per fish the better. As a shoaling fish, it is recommended that they be kept in at least groups of four, although this is normally not possible due to their size. A powerful and efficient filtration system is especially needed due to their large waste. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: This is the king of the Pyocentrus species, and arguably the king of the entire piranha species in terms of size and possible aggression. These are the least skittish of the Pyocentrus species, and certainly the biggest. However for them to reach their potential size, a large tank and excellent water quality is needed.

Scientific Name: Serrasalmus rhombeus
Common Names: Rhombeus Piranha, Black Piranha, Rhom
Distribution: Widespread throughout South America.
Size: 16 inches (Captive), 22 inches (wild)
Captivity: Tank size and volume depends on the size of the fish, however 100 gallons is the minimum, and 150 gallons being good for a full adult in order to reach a good size. A powerful and efficient filtration system is needed. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: Their mean looks reflect this fish’s temperament. Like most of the Serrasalmus species, they are solitary. They go through vast transformations physically during their life-span. They are also very slow growers, but as they grow they become less skittish and bolder. Certainly a show/centre piece fish.

Scientific Name: Serrasalmus spilopleura
Common Names: Gold Piranha, Spilo
Distribution: The Rio Guaporé river basin in Brazil
Size: 12 inches (both Captive and Wild)
Captivity: Despite a very few success stories of shoaling, they are solitary fish. 60-70 gallons are required to keep a solo one. To attempt to shoal, a large amount of water will be needed per fish with lots of hiding places. A powerful and efficient filtration system is needed. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: This is one of the few piranha species to breed in home aquariums. However shoaling success is few and far between and often short lived. It is also thought that Spilo are part of a very complex species that has much variety depending on habitat.

Scientific Name: Serrasalmus elongatus
Common Names: Elongated Piranha, Elong, Pike Piranha.
Distribution: In many different types of waterways in Venezuela/Colombia and Amazonian Brazil.
Size: 10 inches (Captive), 14 inches (wild)
Captivity: This is one of the most active and fast swimming of the species. Therefore they need at least 100 gallons (or more) to themselves and a very strong current to swim against. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: This is normally a very aggressive piranha and very bold once settled. Very efficient filtration and a very strong current is needed to keep this fish in good health and active.

Scientific Name: Serrasalmus brandtii
Common Names: Brandtii Piranha
Distribution: Rio São Francisco and some of its tributaries in Brazil
Size: 12 inches (Captive and Wild)
Captivity: A tank of 60-70 gallons will do fine for one of these, they can be active in patrolling the tank. A powerful and efficient filtration system is needed. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: This species is becoming very known for its aggressiveness and boldness. It will attack like people imagine piranhas to, and will not skitter away from humans or traffic around the tank. A real show piranha that certainly puts action into the tank considering it is solo.

Scientific Name: Serrasalmus manueli
Common Names: Manuel's Piranha, Manuel
Distribution: Llanos in Venezuela, Rio Amazonas and Rio Negro.
Size: 14 inches (Captive), 18 inches (wild)
Captivity: These are very rare in captivity, however they are very active and agile swimmers, and have a potentially very large size. Hence adults need 100 gallons. A powerful and efficient filtration system is needed. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: If you come across one of these, keep it, they are very hard to find in the hobby due to being vulnerable during transporting. While those that do survive are often rather small. But to keep this active piranha swimming a strong current is needed in the tank.

Scientific Name: Serrasalmus geryi
Common Names: Geryi Piranha, Violet Line Piranha
Distribution: Rio Araguaia in Brazil
Size: 10 inches (Captive), 12 inches (wild)
Captivity: Despite a very few success stories of shoaling, they are solitary fish. 60-70 gallons are required to keep a solo one. To attempt to shoal, a large amount of water will be needed per fish with lots of hiding places. A powerful and efficient filtration system is needed. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: Due to this piranhas distribution being very limited, they are rarely seen in the hobby. Therefore if you find one, buy it and hold onto it! They are very expensive. And despite shoaling being successful with some, the price tag of this piranha means you will not want to risk losing your money nor these attractive fish!

Scientific Name: Serrasalmus compressus
Common Names: Compressus Piranha, Compress
Distribution: The Rio Madeira and its tributaries in Brazil
Size: 8 inches (Captive), 10 inches (wild)
Captivity: A tank of 60-70 gallons will do fine for one of these, despite their small size they can be active. A powerful and efficient filtration system is needed. A temperature of 24-30C, and pH of 5.5-7.5 is required.
Personal Comment: This species is becoming rarer in the wild, and hence harder to purchase in the hobby. They are also known to be very skittish when first introduced to their tank. Just give them plenty of cover, dim lights and a current, and they will prove to be a just as piranha like as any other.

if only this information was more readily available for people interested in piranhas.

brydon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2007
Calgary Canada
Hey guys! I am new here and just wondering if any of you could help identify a new addition to my home. thanks.
Ive been told its a black pirahna. But i am wondering what kind it could be. Hes still only 3 inches or so.
Discription: Silver with silver flake, Black fins, Blood red bottom dorsal fin. Pointed Mouth.
hopefully this pic works. thanksunknown1.jpg

unknown1.jpg

werdna11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Toronto, Ontario ,Canada
I have a Ru y Red Spilo.He is 6" now ,I have had him sin e he was 2", he is in a 36"*18"*20" aquarium.Now do Ruby Reds need strong current , as I have no idea how the aquarium should be set up, but he is happy.He follows my hand and bites at it all the time, he actually fights my dog threw the glass ! I have 2 Fluval 105s & a small water jet. Is this to much or not enough water flow ??.I want him to grow larger,( as I saw a 9" Ruby Red ! Just Amazing !! ). I am going to be putting him in a larger tank soon, but am not sure what size tank I should get ?, any suggestions ?? I was hoping at least a 48" long by 24" wide tank would be OK for him to grow a little larger, but is it big enough for at least a year or two ?. Does anyone no in the wild how their natural habitat is ?, are they found in fast moving water, or in ponds off the rivers ?. I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I want to find out lots more about Ruby Red Spills !!!. I have had Manually ,Very is, gold,red spills, and 14 Caribe in a 185 gallon tank. Wow those Caribe were just crazy, as soon as I would go close to there tank, they always though it was feeding time. I bought the Caribes at 3" , amd within 3 months they were at least 5" or bigger.I had to sell them as they ate to much and were always hungry ,plus my Bangel cat would walk on the glass top, and they would try to eat him !!. When they ate !! It was a feeding frenzy ,I never seen any piranas eat that Nuts Ever !!! Thanks and any advice is well appreciated !!!!!

David Tyson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2021
Which one has more body weight between serrasalmus rhombeus(black piranha) and pygocentrus piraya(san francisco piranha)? Which one can bite the hardest?

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store