Pixie Frog tank requirements.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
How many bags of coconut fibre from Petco would be needed to get 3-4" in a 40 breeder(36"x18"x16") if there are 8 dry quarts in a bag? How big of a heat lamp would i need for that tank size also?

Gene0514

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Staten Island, NY
Instead of bags, you should get the bricks
you can probably get the 3-4" with a 3-pack of coco-fiber bricks.
The heat lamp wattage is variable. It all depends on the temperature of the room the tank is in. Get whatever wattage it takes to get the tank into the 80s.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
Instead of bags, you should get the bricks
you can probably get the 3-4" with a 3-pack of coco-fiber bricks.
The heat lamp wattage is variable. It all depends on the temperature of the room the tank is in. Get whatever wattage it takes to get the tank into the 80s.
the room is normally around 68 give or take a degree or too, i'd prefer if you guys could narrow it down a bit so i wouldn't have to do trial and error..

Gene0514

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Staten Island, NY
Well 60 watt might be enough
but you may have to go up to 75W

Cablemonkey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2011
Everton, MO
Personally I would recommend going with a little larger lamp, perhaps even a ceramic lamp or under tank heater (do they need a basking spot or just general temp?) and use this to control your temperature. If you are trying to keep the entire cage @ 80 then you will definitly need the thermostat and a larger bulb, 75 watt makes for a good basking spot but I find it under powered to maintain that high of a temp tank wide. Also since you need to control humidity with a mostly closed top, that will trap some of the heat and help keep the temps up. The thermostat I linked is a good device that is pretty reasonable for how accurate and good it is.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
Personally I would recommend going with a little larger lamp, perhaps even a ceramic lamp or under tank heater (do they need a basking spot or just general temp?) and use this to control your temperature. If you are trying to keep the entire cage @ 80 then you will definitly need the thermostat and a larger bulb, 75 watt makes for a good basking spot but I find it under powered to maintain that high of a temp tank wide. Also since you need to control humidity with a mostly closed top, that will trap some of the heat and help keep the temps up. The thermostat I linked is a good device that is pretty reasonable for how accurate and good it is.
No link. So i should get a 75 watt heat lamp. What do you reccomend for a cover to keep some of the heat/humidity in the tank?

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I agree on the 2-3 bricks of eco earth. That should be more than enough. I use a 75 watt bulb on my tub (I keep my frog in a 40 gallon rubbermaid tub). I have a hole cut out of the lid that fits the lamp housing. Under the lamp it gets about 85 F. which suits my frog just fine. The lid also holds in a good about of heat and humidity.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
I actually purchased 2 bags of eco earth equivelant to 3 bricks of eco earth, but do i need to replace the eco-earth often? I'll use a sheet of Plexi Glass with a hole in the top for the 80ish watt heat lamp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store