planning a tapajos biotope

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Awe man I was going to post that your geos look so rad, anyways nice tank. And setup sorry bout your geos
thanks
Are you saying the two geos that survived turned out to be a pair?
I don't think they were a pair before but it seems they are now. I've found geos, at least mine, have been pretty easy to match up. she looked like she was ready to lay eggs already and she was definitely the instigator in the couple. once I got an air pump back on there and they really seems to recover she was immediately starting with the courting motions on him. it happens that he is my biggest and most dominant male, so that prob helps.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
That's cool man ... at least there is a silver lining in your loss. Having a mating pair of these nice fish is very cool.

What are you going to add?

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
That's cool man ... at least there is a silver lining in your loss. Having a mating pair of these nice fish is very cool.

What are you going to add?
prob not much, I was looking to slim this down. I think I'm actually going to move this group into a 60g and move some other fish into this tank that could use the extra water space. I might even get rid of some c. regani, i'll see how they all get along in a smaller space. there is one female who is the odd one out and she is always running for someone so she will prob either go into another tank or find a new home. if the two pairs can each stake a claim on a spot and get along for the most part I will keep them, otherwise one pair will go too. I may get some more l264 plecs. I was liking them, or some Tapajos appropriate corydoras would be nice. if there is space I would add some tetras but its nice finally having a tank that isn't stupid crowded so I might hold off

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Moved some of the driftwood around in the tank and cut a couple longer branch ish bits off the great big piece that is sort of x shaped that I had previously on the right side of the tank. Loving the difference, still has a bunch of bits that stick down so I creates some natural caves under it and hopefully it will have some little crannies that the c. Regani will take a liking too for spawning too. I'm always nervous to have a chunk off some nice and expensive (relatively) driftwood like this but I love the result here so it paid off. My Geo's are spawning again. Took a short video of them and the rank in general since they decided to do it right in the spotlight.
And here's a couple pics I could get of the fish tonight.

Really liking this tank right now, having a small group of fish in a larger tank like this really does feel so much more natural than having a bunch all cramped together fighting all the time.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Moved everyone over to there new home from the 125g to a 60g, I'm pretty happy so far. I was worried that I might have put too much wood work in here and not left enough room for the Geo's to move around but so far it seems like they are comfortable, they are able to sneak behind and around the bigger wood pile so I'm satisfied for now. I left the angel in the 125 for right now so just the Geo's, the creni's and the l264s as stock.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Vote for melanistius.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Didn't end up getting any smaller fish for this tank yet, have had other things going on in the fish room. I did rearrange the wood a couple times. I think I've got the best layout now. Also I added a l333 which is not a Rio Tapajos fish I know, but i had to move it from another tank and there are fish of its approximate size and colour pattern, so it could be worse. For a bit I actually had a female apistogramma agassizii in here as well and she was around for a while but unfortunately she died. She wasn't eaten by the creni's surprisingly but she did have a big wound to her tail and I think it may be what did her in. Anyway here is a video of how the tank is now.

Reactions: Woefulrelic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store