Planning first planted system

schulace123

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
MINNESOTA
Hello all, I have been keeping aquariums for over the past decade now..mostly all salt water. In the next few months I will be moving and have a large tank that I have never used sitting in a warehouse (I made a thread about this years ago but life got in the way a bit). I plan on taking it with me and was going to make it a cool lagoon SW tank due to its very short height. After thinking about it over the past few weeks/doing a bit of research I am leaning towards a FW planted Amazon type set up. This tank is unique as it is 6 feet long 3 feet wide and 14 inches high. I think it would make a great FW planted tank with a small landmass in the middle, water fall, plants growing out of the water etc. I have never kept a FW planted tank so I am looking for suggestions for beginner plants and stocking fish wise. I would love to keep a FW ray as well but that would be down the road. I am also pretty ignorant to equipment needed for planted tanks so any suggestions help! (water flow needed? co2 needed? stocking? etc)

Equipment I have now includes the tank, 70 gallon sump, stand, aqua illumination prime LED and a few old metal halides.

tank.jpg

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Idk much about FW rays, but everything I've heard says they need relatively open bottoms and upwards of 600g when fully grown. As far as easy plants, anubias, crypts, Amazon swords are all great and easy plants, Co2 is only necessary if you're gonna have a lot of more difficult plants, first tank, I would start with the ones I mentioned. If you want a "carpet" like dwarf hair grass or something, you'll need a lot of fertilizers and preferably a nice aquasoil (I hate carpets at this point because they grow slow and require a lot of maintenance).

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Oh and as far as other stocking goes, are you looking for a peaceful community tank? Larger semi aggressive? I would do a large school of Cories, some rainbows, maybe some tetras? For me I usually find one species that I can't live without, and then plan tank mates around that fish.

schulace123

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
MINNESOTA
Thanks for the info!

As far as stocking goes...I would like to do something that compliments the shallow dimensions. Ideally I want a portion of the tank that is extremley shallow and forms a bit of an island in the middle of the tank. I think this was make a really cool lagoon feel and would be the focal point of the tank.

I'm thinking either a full blown community tank...tetras, corys, barbs etc. Which I have done in the past.

Or

Something based around a few larger agressive fish. Gar? Exodons (any tank mates possible with these?) Etc. Any ideas here would be great as I don't have much experience with larger aggressive FW fish.

Oh and as far as other stocking goes, are you looking for a peaceful community tank? Larger semi aggressive? I would do a large school of Cories, some rainbows, maybe some tetras? For me I usually find one species that I can't live without, and then plan tank mates around that fish.

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Thanks for the info!

As far as stocking goes...I would like to do something that compliments the shallow dimensions. Ideally I want a portion of the tank that is extremley shallow and forms a bit of an island in the middle of the tank. I think this was make a really cool lagoon feel and would be the focal point of the tank.

I'm thinking either a full blown community tank...tetras, corys, barbs etc. Which I have done in the past.

Or

Something based around a few larger agressive fish. Gar? Exodons (any tank mates possible with these?) Etc. Any ideas here would be great as I don't have much experience with larger aggressive FW fish.
Gar can get massive and would much prefer something deep with wide open swimming, depending on how much of the actual tank will be open swimming area, you could go with some CA/SA cichlids, or possible African peacocks. Though for a scape like you want, I would do a community tank and maybe have some semi aquatic crabs to utilize the island and shallows.

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Thanks for the info!

Or

Honestly, with only 14" height, your options are fairly limited with larger fish... if it has a secure lid, some spiny eels would look amazing and they don't need the depth (

schulace123

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
MINNESOTA
Gar can get massive and would much prefer something deep with wide open swimming, depending on how much of the actual tank will be open swimming area, you could go with some CA/SA cichlids, or possible African peacocks. Though for a scape like you want, I would do a community tank and maybe have some semi aquatic crabs to utilize the island and shallows.

Community will most likely be the route that I go.

Thanks for the info!

schulace123

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
MINNESOTA
Thanks! I will look into it.

Cichlids would be possibility as well? I have not kept any for over a decade so I would need a huge refresh...really like the pikes and some of the cats that can go with them.

I recommend a small grouping of peacock eels, so fun to watch when they get acclimated, like their own kind, and are great for community tanks! Love to see a pic when it's done, this tank sounds awesome!

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
Thanks! I will look into it.

Cichlids would be possibility as well? I have not kept any for over a decade so I would need a huge refresh...really like the pikes and some of the cats that can go with them.
A lot of the stocking is going to depend on how you're scaping the tank, how many gallons is it total and also how much of that is going to be open swimming area! Cichlids for the most part are very easy and hardy fish to keep, synodontis petricola are really neat little catfish and only get 4-4.5" long, get along with most medium/smaller cichlids. African peacocks are not as tall bodied cichlids and come in dozens of beautiful colors, so for someone used to salt water and with a shallow tank, a small school of them might look nice. Or Rams (electric blue look really nice but in my experience are way more fragile) because they don't get as big and work great in community tanks! Just remember that with peacock (or zig zag only get ~6") eels or the cats, include at least one hiding spot for each of them. Provided the light isn't overbearing, the peacocks especially become very friendly and will be all over the tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store