Planning my first pond, please advise

jarrod13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2010
Florida
I'm going to put in an above ground pond in my new place. This will be my first time with a pond, but I have over 10 years of experience with saltwater tanks and planted freshwater tanks, so I know my way around the water. I haven't got to exact dimensions yet but I'm thinking it will be 8x4 or 10x4, something in that range. It will be a rectangle, and I want to have a large window in the front. So here are the first questions I have:
Would cinder blocks be good for the main structure?
What is the best/lowest power usage filter system?
How hard is it to install the glass or acrylic? I'd like it to be the style where the glass goes all the way to the top of the pond and there is nothing on top of the glass.
What thickness liner is needed?

That's all I can think of now, thanks for any answers and feel free to give advice

Reactions: castleswolf

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Cinder block is better because it last longer,don't bother with rebar u can use concrete,as far as filtration I would run a pump into some 40 or fifty gallon containers filled with pots rubbers and a elephant ear and water arum.

jarrod13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2010
Florida
Ok, so with cinder block, do you have to lay a slab down, or can you just use the dirt ground for the bottom?

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
The height of the pond will determine what materials you need for the structure. It will also determine the thickness of the glass or acrylic that you need. Think about putting in a bottom drain. It will make life a lot easier. 45 mil liner will last the longest.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Here's my build for ideas. I've already torn it apart after about 5 years of use and it was harder to take apart than to put together. Dimensions were: 20ft x 8ft and 4ft high. I was built directly on concrete slab. What I should have done was cut into the slab and maybe dig down 2 feet...SoCal summer months warmed up the pond creating algae growth but a UV sterilizer helped tremendously along with salt (basic, inexpensive water softening salt from any hardware store).

Materials used: 4x4 lumber, 1/2 steel pipes, long screws (maybe 6 inches), liner (can't remember the thickness), carpeting pad, roll of tape used for roofing and any lumber you like to cap the top.

1/2 inch steel pipes were used to reinforce the lumber and driven into the ground for strength. This was a trial fitting. 4x4s were screwed together layer by layer. The excess piping shown was driven into the ground.

P5110246.JPG P5120251.JPG

My helper. Holes were drilled into concrete slab and hammered flush to top layer.
P5120253.JPG

Carpet padding on bottom & roofing liner taped right onto the inner wall. I thought it was a good idea to protect the liner.
P5180256.JPG

Wasn't necessary but there was another layer (cloth type material) that went under the liner. Staple gun helped.
P5180258.JPG
P5180259.JPG
P5240260.JPG
P5240261.JPG

It was a fun build. Relatively inexpensive. Plus time with my son building it.

I think you can apply an acrylic window to this build...would look cool. Filtration is another topic. Maybe we'll get to that later.

Hope this gives you some ideas...good luck!

Last edited:

castleswolf

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Francisco
Depending on how deep your pond is going determines if you need to use rebar. In any case I would use rebar every other level of 8x8x16. Don't make the fatal mistake I've seen people not using rebar. The footing should be at least 8 to 12 inches. Plus pack the soil that will be in the center of the pond. Layer it with gravel and then fill with sand but if you can I would just place a concrete slab. Flirtation should start with a bottom drain or 2 with an aerator built in. How many will depend on how many gallons the pond will be.

Piping should start out with a 4" or 3" pvc to a sieve to the filter and hopefully a shower but no necessary.

I can go on but I won't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store