plant bulb vs natural daylight

prawnman88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
arizona
i have a 55 gal tank with 2 18 inch 15 watt bubs are natural daylight or plant bulbs better i have just prawns in there macrobracium rosenbergi and guppies

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

Any plants in there?

BTW: Depending on the manufacturer, "plant lights" often contain a purple town which a) promotes algae growth B) make the tank look surreal and cold. Make sure to have your LFS plug them in for you to see the color before you buy.

HarleyK

xnsdvd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Singapore, Pasir Ris
Woah, you've got rosenbergi in the tank? They'll eat your plants if you aren't careful... And they're actually food over in singapore :naughty: Barbeque them with chilli :D

My advice would be to use lights. Simply because you can't control the sun in the even you have algae problems. Another thing. There is no noticable difference between aquarium lights and normal household brands. Both kinds support photosynthesis.

Though in your case if you plan to plant. You'll need about 110 watts of T8 fluorescent lighting. A more economical solution would be to get T5 tubes, they're 50% brighter(meaning you use only 80 watts) and last 4 times longer(T8s have to be changed every 6 months for good growth)

prawnman88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
arizona
i have 2 t-8 15 watt right now all i have is 2 bamboo shoots so far the little guys have left them alone i changed the ge plant grow bulbs to marineland natural daylight bulbs made the thank brighter :WHOA: i was making sure the prawns did not get blinded since they do not really like brihgt light but this brand of bulbs seem to bebetter but yet there not hiding so i guess im doing ht eright thing the plant grow bulbs seemed to make alage grow alot faster :screwy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store