Plant growth of Ludwigia Broadleaf

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
So I have a dirted vase with some plants, floating Salvini, micro sword, rotala rodunfolia, and ludwigia broadleaf. Over some weeks of being in the vase, the ludwigia was starting grow out of the water without drying up. A week ago I had a single stem, now that single stem has split into 4ish stems. Didn’t realize that this slow growing plant will grow way faster in open air with provided co2. Thought this was interesting and wondering if I can clip these trimmings and will the adjust back to water?

7F4D11FA-FEDE-4D2C-A5C6-03DC3A550254.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Always grow better out of water. Seems lots of plants are brought in this way nowadays.The clippings can adjust back to water but there will be some die off. Probably gotta add some supplements to get to tolerate back to water.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Ime I would say stick with plants that are already submerged. A pre-submerged plant will have a much easier time adjusting to a new water source while with non-submerged plants, they can melt back to the point when they almost look dead or possible do die.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Quite a number of the plants for sale in aquatic shops, in particular the bunches of stems varieties and particularly the reds are grown out of water and then displayed submersed. They're then places them submerged and as mentioned a level of die back occurs.
There are many species that grow both submerged and then even stronger above water such as hygrophilia, nymphea, ludwigia, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store