Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

plant safe fish?

Discussion in 'Planted Tank and Aquascaping' started by candidpets, May 1, 2018.

1. candidpets

candidpets MFK Members

Friday at 4:39 PM
      was curious new world chichlids that are decent with plants

jack dempsey
      firemouth
      i know salvini are
      texas?

or west african like jewels?

if not cichlids are fish like rainbowfish giant danio bush fish okay?

2. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf MFK Members

Today at 5:39 AM
      Well...

[​IMG]

Brazzen1 and J. H. like this.
    3. candidpets

candidpets MFK Members

i know mbuna are the worst

4. illbethejudge

illbethejudge MFK Members

Monday at 3:54 PM
      firemouths do well in planted tanks.

Deadliestviper7 likes this.
    5. tiger15

tiger15 MFK Members

Today at 7:06 AM
      Herbivorous cichlid such as severum, uaru and some Vieja species are unsafe due to their taste for vegetation. Egg layers are more trouble makers than mouth brooder because they engage in prolonged nest building in breeding that often clean out plants. But smaller egg layers are fine due to their limited power. Mbuna are actually quite safe because even though they are herbivores, they stop eating algae and plants in captivity. All large cichlid over 6 inch are unsafe for plants except plastic due to their power and hobby to destroy, which include frontosa and most CA tank busters.

A more relevant question should be what plants are safe for cichlid. All delicate texture plants are unsafe which include most mosses and many delicate stem plants. Tough texture plants such as Anubias, java fern, Buce and bolbitus are safe except for powerful tank busters.

6. duanes

duanes MFK Members

Duane
      Today at 9:38 AM
      Even Herichthys like cyannoguttatus and JDs can be problematic when trying to keep plants, because in nature at least 50% of their diet is plant based (algae, and higher plants).
      But I agree with tiger15, anubias, and java, ferns, and boletus do well.
      For me best attached to wood but not planted in the substrate.

7. J. H.

J. H. MFK Members

pyh
      Friday at 8:41 AM
      Angels are supposed to be okay, but mine liked to tear the plants to shreds and throw the bits all over the tank. They are okay with moss and moneywort and swords and vals, but not hornwort or some random stuff I don't know the name of (personal experience.).
      Rainbowfish and danios are great. I've never had a problem with them and plants, and never heard of anyone else who did either. Same with most tetras (not SDs), killies and livebearers.
      Convicts are pure destruction machines. My father put 6 babies in my tank once, who wrecked all the plants (just tore them up) and killed a pleco before they were banished. People say that jewels are as destructive as cons, but I have seen Youtube videos of them in planted tanks.
      Some gouramiis (Dwarf and licorice) are plant safe, others, (3-spot and snakeskin) are not. (never kept licorice or snakeskin.)
      Most small catfish an loaches are plant safe.
      Discus, 'pistos, rams, checkerboards, keyholes, crencichla, pikes, festivums, small haps, peacocks, julies, lamprologus, altolamps, shellies, cyps, kribs, lionheads, polleni, many of the victorians and acaras are all supposed to be plant safe, but so are angels, so who knows.
      Even herbivorous fish like goldfish or severums can be kept in large, heavily planted tanks as long as the plants are tough, grow fast, and don't taste so good. I have found that different goldfish like different plants, and most will refuse at least a few kinds, with many of the fancier ones not eating plants altogether.

Brazzen1 likes this.
    8. Predatory101

Predatory101 MFK Members

Gaz
      May 11, 2018
      I have seen jds in fully planted tanks and some that will eat all plants, really it depends on the fish but there will always be some parts of the plant eaten

9. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf MFK Members

Today at 5:39 AM
      I've found jewels to be very calm, non destructive, non aggressive. Except when they decide to breed, then they'll take over about 95% of the tank and leave everything else huddling in a corner.

10. candidpets

candidpets MFK Members

yeah my 350 gallon pond is six foot long and one damn pair of jewels was causing hell for everyone, i cant believe that fish could not escape the jewels wrath in a tank that size or pond sorry, i have firemouth in there with a couple of jd for now