Planted 180 Gallon Tank

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
so in my 125g right now I have 2 oscars 1 common pleco and 1 pictus cat and I have a JD growing out with the bichirs that will be going in the 125g so when I move the eel over I could move the jd over to the 75g with the bichirs just so the tank is not cramped

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
so in my 125g right now I have 2 oscars 1 common pleco and 1 pictus cat and I have a JD growing out with the bichirs that will be going in the 125g so when I move the eel over I could move the jd over to the 75g with the bichirs just so the tank is not cramped
Sounds like a good plan to me!

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Yes, guppy grass is such a messy plant lol. I both love and hate it to be honest. But the eels absolutely love the stuff. They love swimming into the thickest bunches of it and just chilling

I get the occasional duckweed but the big floaters pretty much starve it out i think.

The eels eat a variety of live foods and occasional frozen blood worms.
Their normal everyday staple are nightcrawlers. They get these 3 days a week. The in-between days they get blood worms, crickets, or grasshoppers. Every now and then i go to my pond and use minnow traps to catch some baby bluegill fry and ill let the eels eat them.

The eels do make a mess when it eating nightcrawlers. I pulled some ramshorn and bladder snails from my pond and threw them in the tank to help clean detritus. Now I've probably got hundreds lmao but I don't mind. They're great cleaners.

I'll probably catch hell for admitting this, but I actually never water change this tank. Every two weeks I have to add about 20 gallons (4 bucket fulls) so I've never really worried about it. I guess the floating plants soak up alot of water and release it into the air. Ever since I added water lettuce and hyacinth to the tank, my basement humidity and need for topping off increased big time.

Nitrates stay pretty low.
Water lettuce and hyacinth are used in sewage treatment plants for final treatment to remove nutrients before discharging to receiving water body. No wonder your nitrate is so low despite heavy feeding of live food. Do you catch your own night crawlers. They have dirt in their gut to pollute your water yet replenish essential minerals your plants need. No wonder you don’t need frequent fert dosing. Have you considered introducing Hornwort which is an easy and pretty floater. Many pond keepers use Hornwort as an algae suppresser which is said to release an allelopathy agent. I don’t know if guppy grass can function the same as my guppy grass tank has never encountered algae.

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
Water lettuce and hyacinth are used in sewage treatment plants for final treatment to remove nutrients before discharging to receiving water body. No wonder your nitrate is so low despite heavy feeding of live food. Do you catch your own night crawlers. They have dirt in their gut to pollute your water yet replenish essential minerals your plants need. No wonder you don’t need frequent fert dosing. Have you considered introducing Hornwort which is an easy and pretty floater. Many pond keepers use Hornwort as an algae suppresser which is said to release an allelopathy agent. I don’t know if guppy grass can function the same as my guppy grass tank has never encountered algae.
I've tried hornwort many times before. Its a fine plant and always grew really good for me. But it always seems to shed needles like crazy no matter what I did. Nowadays I just toss a few moss balls in the tank to help suppress algae. If algae gets going ill dose excel moderately until the algae dies back.

Ever since adding hyacinth, I haven't had alot of algae. Hyacinth grows at an insane rate. I only had 2 in my 180 at first. After a month I had probably 20. Same with water lettuce. The reason you stated about being used in sewage treatment was why I went with hyacinth and water lettuce.

There's a study article published that tested the efficacy of floating plants and their ability to reduce nitrates. Hyacinth was best followed by water lettuce and then amazon frogbit. So that was what inspired me to go so heavy on those three plants. I live in ky, which has super hard water and high nitrates in the water. Its almost like having already fertilized water lol

I work 3rd shift. On my nights off after or during a heavy rain ive went outside and easily found 100s of earthworms and nightcrawlers. During those rains at night i can find them on my patios, driveway, etc. Ive also looked under objects on my property to find plenty of earthworms.

Nowadays I keep a worm bin insisde my basement mechanical room and outside I keep a compost pile for easy access to feeders. But now that my eels have grown so big, I need to get a nightcrawler bin going. They can eat 10 plus regular worms per feeding PER eel lol. But nightcrawlers seems to fill them up after 2 or 3 max.

I've noticed what u said about the dirt filled guts. Whenever the eels eat nightcrawlers I can literally see clouds of black dust spewing out of their gills as they force the nightcrawler down their mouths. Good fertilizer for the plants lol

MaDMatt

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2018
hey M MaDMatt what is the growth rate on the black spots they seem to grow fast but how fast?
My black spotted was purchased on March of 2018. He was very tiny... like 4 inches. Now, he seems to be somewhere within 15 to 20 inches. So he's gain about 6 inches each year.

The more often you feed him something like earthworms or nightcrawlers the faster he will grow. If u feed less nutritionally dense foods like frozen bloodworms I imagine that growth rate would slow considerably.

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
How much do you know about your Borneo Python Eel? I have had mine for two years now....It is aprox 13" and pretty thick.....the pic shows it next to a 9" Weeksi Polypterus. Do they grow to Fire eel size? Mine prefers earthworms and crawlers although occasionally it will take frozen krill. Seems to prefer water temps around 82-84 degrees.EEL AND BIRCHIR.jpg

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I've tried hornwort many times before. Its a fine plant and always grew really good for me. But it always seems to shed needles like crazy no matter what I did. Nowadays I just toss a few moss balls in the tank to help suppress algae. If algae gets going ill dose excel moderately until the algae dies back.

I've noticed what u said about the dirt filled guts. Whenever the eels eat nightcrawlers I can literally see clouds of black dust spewing out of their gills as they force the nightcrawler down their mouths. Good fertilizer for the plants lol
I never know moss balls can suppress algae. Moss ball is not moss but a type of ornamental algae. I believe Guppy grass suppressed algae in my tank, though Ive not read report it can. Guppy grass is delicate too and break up easily, but it doesn’t shed leaves and looks nice and lush in your tank.

Indoor red worm bin supplies worms all year long, nighcrawlers only warm months. I used to maintain a red worm bin and cut up worms in smaller pieces to feed small fish so I know the gut is filled with dirt. The release of dirt in feeding is like dosing fert, and no wonder your plants look so healthy.

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
The eels tend to use the pvc pipe caves instead of burrowing. In the back of the tank ive got 4 pieces of large black pvc that has rocks and plants stacked on top of them.

As far as plants, I chose to use only free floating plants exactly because of what you stated. Large spiny eels tend to uproot or snap stem plants.

All thats in the tank is
Water lettuce
Amazon frogbit
Water hyacinth
Crystalwort
Guppy grass
Java fern
Beautiful setup! I have a tire track... def like a water puppy haha.. I also have plants in my tank... havnt had a problem with them uprooting... never burrow either, she has her spot in between a bunch on rocks she shares with a catfish... never knew they would let you hold them tho lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store