Planted 30 Long Spotted Congo Puffer Tank - Journal

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Hi All,

About 2 years ago I had a spotted congo puffer in a lightly planted 75 gallon tank and it was awesome. I loved that tank and the puffer, unfortunatly I had to move and tear down the tank and sell my puffer. Once again I have my own place and I'm able to setup a small tank, luckily Spotted Congo Puffers don't need a huge tank, so I got the largest tank I could get to fit the space I have, a 30 gallon long. 36"w x 12"d x 18"t. Great dimensions! Usually I hate to use a 12" deep tank, but this tank is in somewhat of a walkway and I couldn't have it stick out too far away from the wall. I had to special order the tank from my LFS, got it for $90 with a lid, not a bad deal.

Anyway, this will be my journal, come along and see what goes wrong!

For those of you interested, this was my previous 75 gallon spotted congo puffer tank

Here is the new 30 long, I just put the gravel in it today and filled it up, so its pretty cloudy, give it a couple days and it will clear right up

For gravel, I use this patio/paver base from homedepot. its $4/bag and I really like its natural look. Its DIRTY so it takes a lot of rinsing, its about a 2:1 ratio after rinsing. I have used it before and it does not effect the water chemistry. Its cheap, looks good.

For a light, I used this from ebay, its cheap, thin, looks good but has crap light output, plus its way too blue for my taste. I suppose it would do for just lighting a tank, but it wouldn't grow anything. That's alright tho, I never intended on using the LEDs it came with.

I took all the LEDs out and replaced them with these strip lights. They are a nice cool white at 5700K and have a 95% CRI (color rendition index) rating. These are VERY high quality LEDs and you can see that reflected in the price. They make colors pop and have a full spectrum of light which is great for growing plants.

I was able to get two strips of lights in this housing. These really aren't like any other LED strips you've probably used before. The adhesive backing is VERY sticky and I'm confidant they will never come unstuck. I think I would have a hard time getting them off even if I wanted to. I wired them up to a regular ol' 12v power supply you probably have laying around.

They were too bright, giving me around 70 par at a full 12 volts. That's enough to grow the most demanding plants and CO2 would be required to prevent any algae from growing, so I needed to dim them down to around 40 par, which is more than enough for the anubias and java fern I will be using in this tank. So I got this PWM dimmer which lets me really control the output of the light.

For a filter, I just used a Sunsun 304 canister filter. It does 264gph, I chalked it full of golf ball size java rock as bio media and it came with a bunch of mechanical filtration.

The tank is in my front room and while Sunsun filters are pretty quiet, it still gave off an audible hum that I wanted to get rid of. Nothing a couple of towels and heavy blanket cant fix. Makes it completely inaudible.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Will the Congo Puffer be able to burrow in that substrate?
Hey T, hes talking about the Spotted Congo Puffer (T.Schoutedeni) and not the T.Miurius...

Coz i also had to do a double take at first ;)

Reactions: tlindsey

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Hey T, hes talking about the Spotted Congo Puffer (T.Schoutedeni) and not the T.Miurius...

Coz i also had to do a double take at first ;)

Yep yep, Spotted Congo Puffer, not "Congo Puffer". Fortunatly I live about 30 minutes from Wes and he will be able to sell me one when my tank is cycled and ready. Maybe a good month to make sure everything is balanced before adding him.

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Hey everyone,

I got the hardscape in yesterday and let it clear up over night. still a bit cloudy, but it looks better in person. Still i figured its cleared up enough to show you the hardscape.

I went to my local building supply yard and got black lava rock. Building supply yards are great because I got these rocks for $0.22/lb. I wouldn't find it too hard to believe that a LFS would sell them for $3/lb.

Anyway, here are the pics. I am cycling the tank now and will probably get my first few fish today. I have already purchased the Spotted Congo Puffer from Wes, he is holding it for me until the tank is balanced and cycled. Next step is to get about as much anubias as I can get my hands on.

I went with a FLOWR (Fish Only With Live Rock) style scape. These are super popular in the marine side, they are a very efficient design, offering swimming space around the entire structure, lots of cracks and shelves to put plants (usually corals) and they make it easy to keep the tank and substrate clean as there is actually very little hardscape touching the substrate, allowing you to vacuum very effectively. Spotted Congo Puffers are messy eaters and its important that I will be able to get to any places that uneaten food and waste accumulate, and I think this design will best allow that.

Scrolling through google images, this is the tank that I kind based my design on

here is kind of a rough rendering of what it will look like with plants. The plan is to pretty much shove a Anubias plant in any crack that I can find.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Looking good! Why not add some Bolbitis heudoltii, vallisneria sp "corkscrew", Crinum sp and such? Lovely backing plants for the Puffer to make his way through :)

Reactions: Fat Homer

Sean W.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2013
Claremont California
Got the first round of fish yesterday. Obviously I don't want to start with the Spotted congo puffer, I need to ensure that everything is fully cycled and balanced before adding him.

I went to my LFS and grabbed a Samurai Gourami and a Sparkling Gourami. Really cool fish.

Samurai Gourami

Sparkling Gourami

Grabbed this pic off Google, couldn't get a good pic of mine

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Looking good! I would get more Samurai gourami, a lovely fish to have in a group and they may just breed. Keep a careful eye on the water though, a friend of mine lost several when water parameters went out of whack.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store